Unsung Forum »
August Album of the Month

Pages: 12 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Re: We all have our NOT guilty pleasures
Aug 02, 2003, 04:37
Praise be bro! I cannot be doing with this 'guilty pleasures' stuff no more!
If you like it you like it! Whats the problem? Jezooz I would wager that most of us on HH are well beyond the age of giving a rats chuff as to whats 'cool' or not...or I should bleedin' hope so.

yeah 'cool' is fine when we can talk shades and matrix coats and the theme to Shaft and things and stuff..sexycool and so on...U knoW cool even..but when it comes to a 'crippling cool cant say what I really like cool'...arse!

Cool is cool but not when its so cool its not cool anymore. You dig daddio?
stray
stray
2057 posts

Re: yeah well
Aug 02, 2003, 10:30
bollocks to you Holy, you don't know me.

Another thing. This is unsung, been here before ? It's not like we don't slag each others music taste off occasionally. I'm sorry, I didnt realise that Julian was immune to such things, I didn't realise we were not allowed to question his views, I won't challenge his reviews in future. Everything I say is tongue in cheek here, I don't mean to cause personal offence, I would hope that was obvious. I attacked the music and dropped the mid life crisis thing as a joke, I didn't attack the man.

If someone writes something I disagree with, adding weight to things that don't deserve any weight at all, I'm not going to just nod and smile, sorry. This is a forum, people usually discuss things on them. Sometimes they disagree strongly. See Led Zep and prog rock discussions of late if you'ld like to see examples.

I could write 2000 words on why Van Halen are shite, but whats the point if you're just going to whine about me being negative or personal.

I'm sure Julian can handle fact that a few people here don't like cock rock. I'm sure he could deal with the fact that a few of us hate it with a passion. I'm sure he doesn't need you defending him and lashing out against forum users. So sort yourself out.

Incidentally, as I said to Vybik and Nic last night Van Halens 'cradle will rock' was one of the first two singles I ever bought. But I got better.

now then group hug time and lets all go to tellytubby land.
stray
stray
2057 posts

Re: :-(
Aug 02, 2003, 11:27
And er.. what the fuck have you ever offered to a debate Moonie ?

for gods sake. This is an online forum, not life and death. Please settle down. If to me the music is shite do I have to write an essay to justify my opinion ? AS said, I've had my taste attacked here, and I din't feel hurt or distressed, I didn't weep, I didn't rant at the people who did it.

Yes, Julian cope likes a lot of music I also like. Yes he also likes a lot of music which to me is shite. So, are we only supposed to debate music if we love it too ? Right, ok. I know the rules now, I'll behave. So... next time someone insults my choice in music I'm going to send a complaint about the poster to holy. what dya reckon my chances of them being poorly attacked by Holy on my behalf would be ?

Oh.. and.. yeah.. fuck off.
Five
Five
960 posts

Re: Missing Graphic?
Aug 02, 2003, 11:41
Especially in light of JC's comments on rhythm-guitarless Van Halen as chaosrock, I'm gonna give it a listen - tho (aside from Eddie's technique which I wish to bend to my own evil ends) nothing VH has ever done has interested me much (bringing back the Kinks is a dubious distinction, and Eddie's tone is boring) - I am curious how they sound as an early live act, and I like the cheap-ass tape recording aesthetic just fine, most tapes of my own bands are done that way - I wonder how much they cleaned it up for the albums?
Granted, I may not end up diggin' it, but Julian interests me as an artist enough that his ideas are worth following up on, regardless
-5-
Holy McGrail
Holy McGrail
1257 posts

Aug 02, 2003, 13:03
Stray, my apologies for getting extremely personal about this, but I'm just completely sick of ninnying negativity across this whole site. Couldn't care less if you think Van Halen suck big ones or not, there's no need for anyone to get disrespectful about it. Most of the time people just ignore the LP of the Month or - worse still - ignore the musical content in favour of being able to focus on some potential 'unrighteous' aspect of the band being discussed (e.g. Waldteufel), and time and time again the music itself is shunned for fear of some intellectual 'erm, I'm not actually sure if, culturally, I'm allowed to enjoy listening to this' black hole.

It's really not about whether or not you dig the music but to shoot the messenger down in flames is out of order, I feel. Fucking hell, I only spend about 2 hours a month preparing the LP of the Month page & audio and *I'M* pissed off at those reactions, can't imagine how Julian would feel having written the darn thing. Quite why you couldn't just ignore it - like you did, say, almost every other LP of the month piece ever written for this site - I don't know.

> Everything I say is tongue in cheek here

So what, you actually like Van Halen? Right, I get you. Irony, is it? Oh ha ha ha. Brilliant. "You really got me" there, fella.

Bloody hell, what a waste of time everyone's time this has been, then.
stray
stray
2057 posts

Aug 02, 2003, 13:16
"So what, you actually like Van Halen? Right, I get you. Irony, is it? Oh ha ha ha. Brilliant. "You really got me" there, fella."

Please decide if your going to be an adult (as the first half of your post indicates) or not ;). Julians entire championing of cock rock strikes me as Irony, oh hahaha, post modern bullshit frankly.

Yep, I liked Van Halen, and as I said, I got better. I was only ten at the time, and it was righteous rebellious music to a ten year old me. Much like slipnot is to my kids.

Yep, usually when I don't dig the album of the month
I shutup about it, check my lack of posts on the last few. I only posted to this in order to support Murrays comments, there has been an anti posture rock pro posture rock thing going on here for ages. This is just an extension of that. We're all thrashing about here wondering which direction rock should take, and some of us think going backwards isn't it. This is a VALID discussion, and as most of us are extremely passionate about music it's going to get out of hand.

What you have to realise is, that as the webmaster that when you start attacking people you're actually throwing a lot of weight around, and you end up coming accross as the thought police. So you spent 2 hours putting it up and some of us bitched.. er.. boohoo.. criticism is part of life. My work gets slagged off more than occasionally, I've never bitched back with the defence 'but, but it took me ages...'. It shouldn't touch you. If it does then it's your problem not ours.

Okay sometimes we're negative, but also a lot of the time we're very positive here. If you want to be the 'vibe police' then that's fine by me. But it will royally fuck up open discussion won't it ? 'Oh, best not post that, Holy will get upset with me'

You'ld be better off using an alias to do such things. I'm sorry, but unlike the other forums here , the people on this one rarely doff their cap to each other and go away quietly.
moey
moey
770 posts

Aug 02, 2003, 13:27
I'm with you moony!

Who gives a shit about cool? just enjoy what you like .

moey
stray
stray
2057 posts

Aug 02, 2003, 13:38
Even worse than 'cool' is 'anti cool' ;P

I am so uncool me, my clothes make me look like my grandad.

YES, who gives a fuck, like what you like because you do, Ilike plenty of music that most would consider unhip and wrong and don't give a flying fuck. SO!!!!! why do you all have to get upset when someone doesnt like and attacks music you like. get over it.
cancer boy
cancer boy
977 posts

Re: August Album of the Month
Aug 02, 2003, 13:42
All the Van Halen I've ever heard sucks widdly widdly farts out of dead cats, but as usual it was an interesting read. So as David Essex would say: rock on!
Holy McGrail
Holy McGrail
1257 posts

Aug 02, 2003, 13:43
Another fucking weekend of this kind of debate, great.

I take your point completely about me posting as webmaster appearing as some kind of thought police but I don't give a fuck what people think about whatever type of music - for the vast majority of time I stay out of Unsung because very little of the discussion interests me - but I do have a problem with this kind of reactionary bollocks.

Your example about your work is a great one. Yeah people might say, "Hmm no, I don't like that track" but if they listened to one of your tracks and said, "You're a fucking wanker" - to get that personal - your nose might be put out of joint a little more.

While the Unsung discussion is easily sustained on this site, the reviews section is not. As I'm sure you found contributing your own review, it's a big deal and a lot of effort. Heavy contributors like Julian and Seth Man (amongst a few others) - the guys who are injecting the real gnosis into this site - frequently get little or no reaction to their reviews on the forum and while it's not their raison d'etre, I'm sure they consquently don't need a great deal of reasons to not do it at all. And again, I'm not talking about whether or not you like the music they're reviewing. That's not my issue here at all.

Anyway you've apologised (or said you were being ironic (unless you were nesting your irony, of course)) for the personal comment and that's what I had the biggest problem with. Please slag Van Halen off until the cows come home.

H
Pages: 12 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index