Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Andfurthermoreagain
Andfurthermoreagain
696 posts

Edited Feb 06, 2012, 14:26
Re: Shack
Feb 06, 2012, 14:25
[quote="Wiggy"]I didn't think BL were bad musicians as such..[quote]

I saw Arthur Lee & (Baby Lemonade) Love in, I think 2002 in Manchester, it was the tour he did before the Forever Changes tour and thought they were bang on the nail. I imagine that Shack reminded Arthur of the original Love lineup in that they were a ragged (in the best possible way) but capable bunch or misfits. I though it was more telling of Arthur's mindset that he kept badgering John Head with moans about BL - this is the guy who sacked the original Love lineup almost on a whim after all. I remember chatting to the lead guitarist from BL at the aftershow and he told me that the situation aurally captured on the infamous outtakes of Your Mind And We Belong Together was pretty much still the same for them.
Going back to Arthur and Shack, from the 'auto'biography and other things I've read, I think the whole experience moved Arthur deeply - for one he was amazed that the Head brothers knew Love songs better than he could remember and his Liverpool experience was something of a revelation as to how much his legend had grown over time on these shores (particularly, as with Beefheart, in the 'pool).
He mentioned being taken by the Heads to the place where The Beatles first played, that there was a picture of them in their Sgt Pepper gear over the door.
I worked out this must have been the Jacaranda on Slater Street as during the 80s and early ninetees they did have a Sgt Pepper mural over the frontage - this has since been relocated to the downstairs bar with a more traditional facade in place out front now.
More tragically however, it appears the owners of the Jac have gone into receivership and its future is pretty clouded at the moment.
I always held the place in deep fondness, not merely because of the Beatles connection but also because of Arthur Lee's fleeting patronage.
It's a special place and it'd be a shame to see it go the way of many struggling pubs.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index