America and Fiction

4 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
landells
landells
680 posts

Re: America and Fiction
Mar 27, 2003, 03:19
The following is from a transcript of a media briefing given by Brigadier General Vincent Brooks, deputy operations director of U.S. Central Command:

Q: Well, now it's almost one week since the war started, and many hundred of civil Iraqians have been killed by coalition bombs. Well, do you think that it will help Iraqi people to believe you and to trust you, to believe that you are coming to emancipate them?

GEN. BROOKS: Thanks for the question. First, I don't accept the premise of the question, which says that the civilians have been killed by coalition bombs. I just don't accept that. What we have seen over the last several days is Iraqi citizens being marched out in front of irregular formations while they are firing. Iraqi civilians are being killed on the battlefield by Iraqis. I can't make that point more strongly than I've just done it.

Q: Sir, a few days ago General Franks stood here and said this was a platform for truth, not propaganda. To that end, when will you show us pictures of what happens when precision bombs don't go where they are supposed to, when they fail to hit their designated targets, or if they fail to go off at all? And will you also provide us with a running audit of the effectiveness of these weapons? That is, the number that succeed, the numbers that miss, and the ones that don't go off. And, if you don't doesn't that expose you to the charge that this is more propaganda than truth?

GEN. BROOKS: Well, I can certainly assure you, having been up here each one of the days and each one of the briefings that this is a platform for truth. I cannot say that about everything that you are seeing from platforms in other countries or in other areas. We certainly have seen different approaches to informing the media. We've got a wide open discussion with you on a daily basis. We have embedded media so that the truth does come out. And we believe we are being very consistent with that.

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2003/03/27/1048653781459.html

And some prick was on Fox News' Hannity & Coumes (a face-off between liberals and conservatives) quoting Hitler by referring to the French and the Germans et al as "useless idiots" and saying they must take a very large part of the blame for US deaths. Another blamed the UN for everything and said it should have no say in the future of Iraq - he then declared that the UN was anti-American and anti-Semitic!

And where is the rest of the news. All Sky and Fox ever show is war footage and propaganda - the same stuff over and over again and again...no other news

U-Know! Forum Index