grufty jim
1978 posts

And so we reach an impasse
Feb 25, 2003, 15:15
You write:
>
> I think capitalism is a great thing.
>
Whereas i think it's directly responsible for destroying the planet we live on, for the deaths of untold millions, and for creating staggering inequality. It is a fundamentally unjust system which *by definition* is unsustainable.

But i'm not sure there's any gain to be had by debating a system that you think is "great", and i think is as close to pure evil and we can get in our sanitised, secular world.

I will say though that i have no idea what Julian thinks is "the main problem with capitalism". But if he thinks it's "the greedheads", then he's completely wrong. The concentration of capital in the hands of a few is both a precondition for, and an inevitable byproduct of, market capitalism. You could perhaps argue that "the main problem with capitalism is that it cannot exist without the greedheads".

To suggest otherwise is to be wrong. Sorry.

Anyways; i honestly believe your argument is incoherent and self-contradictory, and that you are actually unaware of the basic realities of capitalism. And you - no doubt - feel the same about my position. So we should probably leave it at that.
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index