Adbusters - The Movie!!!

24 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Citizensmurf
Citizensmurf
1703 posts

Re: Long Response (sorry) - Part 3
Feb 25, 2003, 05:00
I'll have to get my big nose in here again.

"The world you describe . . . a post-capitalist society"

Far from it. I think capitalism is a great thing. I think apple pie is a great thing too, but I don't eat it all day and night, and stuff it down the throats of everyone I see until all everyone eats is apple pie. Just because you curb your spending, doesn't mean you have to stop spending altogether. I support my local economy as much as I can, and I take great pride that. You can't seriously say to me that you feel pride buying and supporting Pepsi. So to say that bankrupting Pepsi is a bad thing . . . I don't get it. The main problem with capitalism is what Julian refers to as the greedheads. Rich people getting richer because of poor people giving them money in various forms. Be it the worker in the Pepsi factory, or the schmuck who "wins" the free MP3 player from collecting the letters under the bottle cap.

Don't tell me you can't create commerce a different way. Don't tell me they have to work for Pepsi. This global economy is simply a way for the rich to pay cheaper labour to it's workers, and distribute more of it's products to the world. The man who can't leave the city because his work is dependent upon it. That is simply an excuse. If you really, really wanted to change your standard of living, you could. This dependency upon the economies of chemicals and computers and the like does not have to exist. Yes, I am a hypocrite. I use this computer. I use chemicals. But change does not happen overnight. Small steps in the way of reducing consumption taken by various people will have enormous consequences. And yes that will help far more than throwing a metaphorical brick through the advertising window.

Yes, I agree the world will change dramatically in a short time. Will you be able to cope with the changes, or be a dumb-founded when two buildings thousands of miles away topple to the ground.

I'm sure I'll get some flack for that last line. I live for flack.
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index