Adbusters - The Movie!!!

24 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
grufty jim
grufty jim
1978 posts

Long Response (sorry) - Part 3
Feb 24, 2003, 02:22
The world you describe; in which we fight advertising by not buying products doesn't make a whole deal of sense unless you have a coherent plan for a post-capitalist society. Because that's what you're proposing. Great if you do; but frankly i've yet to see one that makes any sense when held up to the harsh light of reality. You can stop Pepsi advertising by bankrupting Pepsi through a massive global boycott of all the company's products. You'll be putting a major employer out of business - hundreds of thousands of people; millions globally - won't have jobs; and the knock-on effects into the plastics and aluminium industry; not to mention freight-haulage and sugarbeet and corn farmers, and the CO2-gas industry, and the effects on retailers and currently sponsored-sports events (many of which have become totally dependent upon corporate advertising), etc, etc, etc.

I'm not arguing in favour of our current system on principle. I just don't believe it's practical to put all of those people out of work until you've developed some kind of alternative system to support them. And as i say; i've yet to hear of one that's worth diddly. But i'm always on the look-out.

All just my opinion. Usual disclaimers apply.
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index