1978 posts

Re: Adbusters - The Movie!!!
Feb 22, 2003, 03:21
>
> The adverts would drive me insane if I chose
> to look at them and think about them all the
> time...
>
Sadly most people don't have that choice. I cannot walk for more than 3 minutes in any direction from my front door without passing an advertisement of some kind.

There's no practical way of filtering them out of my field of vision; and i am of the opinion that _ignoring_ them is not an option. I have certain beliefs about the way marketing works, and they include the importance of passing a conscious judgement on each advertisement. I honestly feel it's unhealthy to passively consume any media; particularly commercials, as they are deliberately crafted to provoke subconscious emotional responses conducive to psychological imprinting.

[this is not a conspiracy theory, incidentally, it is mainstream marketing theory]

Therefore urban environments become hard work, and induce neurosis and anxiety - filled, as they are, with images designed to provoke a barrage of conflicting emotional responses.

>
> but hell move to the country and turn off
> the tele.
>
Turning off the TV is certainly a way of dramatically reducing the number of commercials you consume, but your advice to "move to the country" is a little trite, if you don't mind me saying so.

Firstly, most city-dwellers cannot afford to move to the country.

Secondly, why do you think urban environments are so saturated with advertising? Cos that's where the people are! If people leave the cities, then so will the marketers.

And aside from all that, i have to say that your dismissal of ad-busting and other forms of guerilla ontology is somewhat libertarian. Most people involved in such activities see themselves (perhaps melodramatically) as attempting to resist a powerful and deeply destructive cultural influence. They are simply not interested in ignoring the ills of society and living hermit-style far from the madding crowd. They feel a personal responsibility to oppose those they see as committing unacknowledged crimes.

As it happens, i'm tending more towards the "moving to the country and switching off the TV" option you suggested. But i don't think you should so easily dismiss the efforts who don't turn away from challenging the evils of the system.

Or something.
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index