U-Know! Forum »
Congestion Charging

Pages: 7 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Killer
255 posts

Congestion Charging
Feb 17, 2003, 10:27
How's this going to effect the good folk of London.

Personally I think its a good idea.

I work in Central London, I have to travel around to visit Clients, however for the past 4- 5 years I have always adopted a policy of using public transport to enter Central London, I just failed to see the point of attempting to drive there. I could quite easily claim back my fuel and Parking costs, but I value my time much more. I would rather spend 1 1/2 hours on the tube than 2 1/2 whilst trying to drive the same trip.

This mornings media coverage has been ridiculous, they seem disappointed that there has not been gridlock, this was never going to happen anyway, Firstly Its 1/2 Term and there is never any traffic this week and secondly its not as if they have installed Physical barriers such as Toll booths across the roads to stop the traffic.

There also seems to be loads of people complaining about access to the web site. I had no problems, I have registered as there will be occasions when I do have to enter the Zone, my office is about 20m inside the Zone. Anyone else had any problems ? or is it just the media stirring it up.

I believe that The GLA are being fairly brave with this, its highly unlikely that this will get Ken re-elected, but at least they are attempting to do something about the problems of traffic in Town Centres
Drood
47 posts

Re: Congestion Charging
Feb 17, 2003, 11:20
Saw a report on this last night. Said that normally 250, 000 people enter the zone, but only 26,000 had paid for today.

They then said that taking into account those who are exempt, that leaves 76,000 unaccounted for.

My question is, how do you qualify to be part of the 150,000 exempt drivers? Politics degree?
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Feb 17, 2003, 11:26
I know that exemptions apply to 'green cars' (lovely oxymoron that!)

LPG, hybrids & electric cars go free.

Taxis go free

I think some delivery vans do too

Couriers go free too (I think)
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Feb 17, 2003, 11:26
... and disabled folks too.
PaulMakesMusic
951 posts

Feb 17, 2003, 11:52
Also residents of the zone...
Killer
255 posts

Feb 17, 2003, 12:04
My understanding is that Residents pay 10%, Disabled go free if registered, otherwise the only exceptions are LPG, Electric, etc.

I believe that delivery vehicles do pay, but its only £5 a day, not per trip as most of the whingers whom are bleating on about this today seem to think.

With reference to the numbers, I don't think that you can actually pay in advance, you pay during the day, (before 10pm or the charge goes up) therefore it won't really be clear untill tommorrow as to the number of Vehicles photographed entering and the number of actuall payments taken.
grufty jim
grufty jim
1978 posts

Feb 17, 2003, 13:19
There are two serious problems with the Congestion Charge.

1. The zone ain't big enough.
2. It's too cheap.

But MASSIVE respect to Ken Livingstone for taking this first faltering step. He's got my support - 100%.
necropolist
necropolist
1689 posts

Feb 17, 2003, 15:51
the problem with the CT is that it is an entirely regressive (ie not progressive0 piece of taxation. tis also true that the area is absurdly small. i find it odd that people who are generally leftish, and who opposed the Poll Tax as an incredibly reactuionary tax, can then proudly support this one - even tho its relationship to the ability to pay is exactly the same. for fucks sake, kenny boy admits he got the idea from evil scumbag milton friedman!! so it just MUST be wrong!

I mean rich bastards are gonna be able to carry on swanning about as if they owned the place (d'oh! forget, they do tho don't they), whilst it's the poor that suffer.

For many people it really will be a heavy burden. £25 a week would be a hell of a lot of my weekly income, and there are a hell of a lot of people working in central London who are not well paid. If you have to carry anything other than a tiny amount of 'work-related' belongings with you public transport is all but out of the question. if you work really crappy hours, public transport often isn't runnning, or it takes hours to get where you need to be going (via nightbuses). I know there are a few extra buses running from today, but they won't be anything like enough. Public transport should be free - then that would sort out the congestion problems in minutes, cos only people who really NEEDED to travel by car would do.
Joanna
Joanna
658 posts

Feb 17, 2003, 16:01
Yes you can pay in advance. Up to a year if you know the EXACT date you will be travelling! Did you miss all the warnings telling peeps to register and pay before Monday so their call centre doesn't melt.
Lord Lucan
Lord Lucan
2702 posts

Feb 17, 2003, 17:43
I agree with all of that.

It's a very good idea. Charging people to use cars then using the money for public transport is a master stroke.

The press have WANTED this to fail, and that includes London's local press - The Evening Standard has been appallingly biased about it. ALL have been hostile, despite large support from the population of London. Wonder if the journalists writing these columns drive in to work? Hmmm.

The chaos which all the media were reporting as inevitable has not happened.

Ken has been very brave to go for this, and has shown integrity in saying he's to blame if it doesn't work. It's a pity his former party colleagues haven't felt fit to be quite so brave and get results like it seems Ken has.

It seems the Department of Transport might start implementing this scheme around the country. Wonder if Ken'll get the credit? Don't make me laugh!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/2770721.stm
Pages: 7 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index