http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/2608799.stm

Any thoughts?
konaman
konaman
533 posts

Re: Schoolgirl Sues Over Detention
Jan 07, 2003, 23:50
grrrrr !!!

& then people wonder why insurance premiums are so high...hasn't anyone cottoned on to the fact that there is no such thing as a free lunch, & that the compensation culture has got totally out of hand, feeding the greed of the ambulance chasers?
PaulMakesMusic
951 posts

Jan 08, 2003, 02:24
Dear Mr Konaman,
Further to your posting dated Tuesday, 7th January, 2003, My client, the insurance industry, has instructed me to invoke libel proceedings unless you issue an immediate and full retraction of the derogatory phrase "Ambulance chasing" and, further, pay said client a sum of money commensurate with the distress you have caused.

yours faithfully

Paul, Makes & Music

Solicitors and commissioners of oaths.
anthonyqkiernan
anthonyqkiernan
7087 posts

Jan 08, 2003, 10:33
I happened to be in primary school at the time when corporal punishment was still allowed. Now, I recollect that in primary 4 (possibly three, even) - which for those of you outside Scotland is around the age of 7 or 8 - I had a mad old bitch of a teacher who belted me on three occaisions (the only occaisions in all my school days). First time was as part of a random selection of people from the class (literally names out of hat) to show her stiff shiny new length of leather. Another, was because a chair fell off of a desk which I was closest to at the end of the day (need I point out I never touched it). And, and this one gets to my point, once for 'smiling' in mass (catholic school - hence the deep tradition of sado-masochistic paedophilia).

Now, by the time I reached high school, I was an atheist. I like to think that this was a well considered philosophical positioning and love of science on my part. However, what if it was just an extreme psychological reaction to the belting? What if being punished for expressing joy during a religeous ceremony had twisted my mind and made me reject the good Lord God? And, - this is the crux of the matter - what if I am now damned to eternal torment? Do I have a good case for some recompense?
Vybik Jon
Vybik Jon
7717 posts

Jan 08, 2003, 12:39
No you don't. And if you mention it again, you'll feel the back of my hand across your face.
Joanna
Joanna
658 posts

Jan 08, 2003, 12:40
This case is yet another where there is a total breakdown of communication and mistrust between school and parents and kid. It's sad you have to sue before anyone listens properly, that's all
grrr
grrr
182 posts

Jan 08, 2003, 13:38
The article doensn't give us much to go on, but the quoted offences of sipping fizzy drinks in class and using fire doors sound to me like the kind of thing that are done as deliberate acts of provocation to wind teachers up.

I consider myself to be quite a nice, caring person, but at age 11, I was fully aware of how to show complete disrespect in a way that allowed me to say "I was only [extremely minor offence]". I know a lot of teachers (including my other half) and the days of punishing kids for no reason are long lost (with I'm sure some exceptions), so I really hope the parents here either fail in their case, or are dealing with a very bad teacher.
anthonyqkiernan
anthonyqkiernan
7087 posts

Jan 08, 2003, 14:16
The point is nothing to do with the teachers. It also has nothing to do with being punished for particular behaviour. It's the form that the punishment takes. Were they to brand her with irons and pull out her toenails, you would expect there to be some legislation against that. Basically, she is being detained in a manner that may or may not be against international law.
necropolist
necropolist
1689 posts

Jan 08, 2003, 14:25
and, its very hard to tell from the brief report given, but it does look rather like the school being incredibly petty and spiteful over the application of certain rules to certain pupils. Sadly they do it all to often these days – far more than when I was at school. ‘Discipline’ is being far more harshly invoked than it used to be, particularly against pupils seen as ‘problematic’. The whole compensation culture/run to a lawyer thing is rather objectionable, to say the least, but sadly money is the only thing that talks these days.
Zastrozzi
Zastrozzi
144 posts

Jan 08, 2003, 14:31
But we've all been schoolkids and we all know what a gang of scrotes we were (or I was, certainly)... what are teachers supposed to do to keep order? Detention seems a pretty mild form of punishment to me - kids, almost by definition, don't like being at school, so what more apt punishment than to make them attend for longer?

'Before you can read and write you must be taught. So much more is this true in your life. Else you are merely the slave of your base emotions' (roughly) - Marcus Aurelius
Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index