Europe to legalise Pulse Fishing

23 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
grufty jim
grufty jim
1978 posts

Re: Europe to legalise Pulse Fishing
Nov 28, 2017, 12:16
The idea that people don't want to be seen to "criticise the EU" made me smile. Isn't that the national past-time in the UK at the moment? It's like when The Express complains about how "you're not allowed talk about immigration anymore" after a solid month of front-page headlines about immigration.

The EU is a flawed institution; and I don't think there's a single pro-EU person who doesn't recognise that (I continue to harshly attack the EU's approach to the banking crisis in 2008 any time I find an unsuspecting audience). But if anything; the exit of Britain (historically the country who does most to push the EU in a low-regulation / free-market direction) will allow the EU to become more socially and ecologically responsible. In theory anyway.

On the specific issue of pulse fishing. The pro-pulse summary I read suggests it might actually do less overall damage to the ecosystem than standard trawling (they would say that of course; but the rationale did seem sound in fairness). The anti-pulse people say the opposite.

As an adherent to the precautionary principle on ecological matters, I would still put myself in the "anti" camp for now (based on the tiny amount I read). And if the EU do legalise it; then that would indeed be a bad thing; and I would hope they keep a very close eye on the impact and be ready to rapidly reverse that decision if necessary.

What I find fanciful is the notion that anyone can view a post-brexit UK as being more likely to be environmentally responsible than (a) the EU, or (b) the UK itself while inside the EU. In fact, the UK government has explicitly cited the lowering of regulations as a primary reason it is leaving the Customs Union and Single Market.

Remember all that talk about a "Singapore-style" low regulation economy? All that stuff about lowering food standards to meet the requirements for a US free-trade deal (chlorine chicken? antibiotic beef? massive expansion of GM crops?)

Do you think in that environment, with that philosophy and stated aim, the UK will suddenly become a staunch protector of the environment? Free from the restraint of all EU regulation, does anyone think the UK will become more environmentally regulated? Does anyone think they wouldn't introduce pulse-fishing and be a damn-sight slower to end it if it turns out to be highly destructive?

Maybe you do, and that's fine. I may think you're naive about trusting the people pushing brexit to be responsible in other areas. And you may think I'm a cynic for automatically assuming Johnson, Fox, Davis, Gove and May don't give a damn about the environment and would be glad to introduce pulse fishing if they thought it might make some money for someone.

Ultimately we shall see. The ecosystem will end up losing whatever happens. but then... it always does.
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index