U-Know! Forum »
What an appalling America I live in.

Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Lawrence
9547 posts

What an appalling America I live in.
Aug 15, 2017, 17:20
http://www.eonline.com/news/873541/jimmy-fallon-fights-back-tears-as-he-describes-disgusting-charlottesville-events
Lawrence
9547 posts

Re: What an appalling America I live in.
Aug 15, 2017, 17:23
http://www.usmagazine.com/celebrity-news/news/dad-denounces-white-nationalist-son-in-open-letter-w497842

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/white-supremacists-radicalized-experts_us_59922ba2e4b090964299595b
Lawrence
9547 posts

Aug 15, 2017, 20:31
http://www.rawstory.com/2017/08/this-is-nazi-fcking-america-watch-what-happens-when-a-nc-women-confronts-man-with-swastika-flag/
phallus dei
583 posts

Edited Aug 17, 2017, 00:27
Aug 17, 2017, 00:24
Thanks for posting these articles. Racism in America is indeed an issue worth discussing. Hopefully it can be discussed here - among self-professed "heads" - in a sensible manner, without devolving into insults.

There's a lot of racism in the US. I think a distinction should be made between the racism of the lower-class and relatively uneducated, and the racism perpetuated by the elites. Granted, both can (and do) kill, but the former targets individuals, whereas the latter castigate entire communities for destruction.

Personally, I am more willing to forgive the racism of lower class whites. Such views can be changed through education and improved economic conditions. The institutionalized racism perpetuated by elites, however, I am much more hesitant to forgive.

Racism has been an inherent part of America since its beginning. It is a nation founded upon genocide. The ugly rhetoric of "American exceptionalism" is still used to justify foreign conquests today. And we have one of the highest prison populations - primarily targeting people of color - in the world.

Nonetheless, I am skeptical if racism has dramatically increased under Trump. Granted, white nationalists did vote for Trump. But I think that such groups are a relative minority. I would (optimistically?) like to believe that the majority of Trump voters were lower-class Americans who realized that the elites were screwing them.

I fear that the current media campaign against the "alt-right" is simply a way to distract Americans from their true enemies. Now that "Trump's a Russian agent" has played itself out, the "Trump's a racist" narrative comes back into play. But the same bastards who promote "Trump's a Russian agent" and "Trump's a racist" are the ones who unleash illegal wars abroad, while conducting domestic terrorism at home (through increased surveillance, economic policies that devastate inner cities and suburbs, and a for-profit prison system). Our predominant enemy is not the local yahoo waving a Confederate flag, but the Wall Street tycoon who is destroying America.

Supporting my belief that the latest incidents are predominately a "wag the dog" media campaign against Trump is the curious Craigslist ad advertising "crowds on demand" for Charlotte:

https://charlotte.craigslist.org/tfr/d/actors-and-photographers/6253305119.html

$25 an hour for those willing to "protest"... Are tensions in America being artificially inflated? If so, for what purpose?

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-08-16/why-was-crowd-hire-company-recruiting-25-hour-political-activists-charlotte-last-wee

The bastards used this shit to implement "regime change" in Libya, Syria, and the Ukraine. I don't want to see it here.
Lawrence
9547 posts

Aug 17, 2017, 01:49
Well that is a cool post... I didn't get to read all of it but... I have to say I don't always agree with you but you're pretty astute in speaking your mind. Definitely keep saying what you say and never mind what anyone else thinks...
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Edited Aug 17, 2017, 10:12
Aug 17, 2017, 10:11
I too find your posts interesting and insightful. Not sure I can add anything helpful except to say I've just finished reading a book by African-American writer Paul Beatty called 'The Sellout'. It won the prestigious Man Booker Prize in 2016. I consider it something of a masterpiece as written in 'Black' language and satirical, plain funny, erudite in equal measure. Not a particularly easy read for a white English person such as myself but definitely an education.
Lawrence
9547 posts

Edited Aug 17, 2017, 11:00
Aug 17, 2017, 11:00
And I should say that both phallus dei and tjj are not alone in this consensus either. There are local gay friends of mine that have a talk show on the same station I'm on that are saying it is indeed people in higher places that are playing us like pawns, both the people that would support Trump and those against him. Of course I tend to think Trump was someone who lusted after the power of being president but as the saying goes be careful what you wish for. But honestly although I voted for Hillary I really had to close my nose to do it!
phallus dei
583 posts

Aug 17, 2017, 15:26
Thanks for the encouraging words. And welcome back to HH after what seemed to have been an absence. Keep posting what you think!
phallus dei
583 posts

Aug 17, 2017, 15:30
I'm not familiar with Paul Beatty's The Sellout, but after being inspired by your post to check out a few reviews, it sounds like it will be an excellent read. Satire is probably the best method to use to dissect our current state of affairs. Thanks for the recommendation!
Lawrence
9547 posts

Aug 17, 2017, 15:48
I probably will although I'm kinda wary here still. I know I'm not really good at discussing politics (I'm getting more to admit this) I just hope I don't run into any more problems in the future.
Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index