Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Evergreen Dazed
1881 posts

Edited Jul 13, 2017, 16:04
Re: The Naysayers.....
Jul 13, 2017, 15:57
Littlestone wrote:
nigelswift wrote:
...I WILL retaliate with a review of Sanctuary's book, which I've read and which puts forward a ludicrous crank theory about Silbury.

Well, the review by tjj here and that by Runemage on the Portal here would indicate otherwise (that Sanctuary's book ‘puts forward a ludicrous crank theory about Silbury.’).

tjj writes in her review -

“This is not an alternative Story of Silbury Hill, however; Roy makes an credible case for the Avebury Complex being a carefully thought out neolithic Female Earth Figure, the purpose of which was a gateway to the afterlife. He links the component parts of the Avebury Complex including the Ridgeway, the Sanctuary, the Great Circle, West Kennet and Beckhampton Avenues; Silbury Hill (as the figure in child) and the Swallowhead Springs/River Kennet - as the (re)birth canal and gateway to the afterlife. I found Roy’s chapter on the Swallowhead Springs particularly moving.”

While Runemage writes -

"All of his arguments make sense and they are based on archaeological findings as well as his own attempts to ‘think Neolithic’. He has made great efforts to try and determine not only what the monuments and the complex as a whole would have meant to the builders, but what incentives they would have needed to make such gargantuan physical and mental efforts to build them in the first place."

Why stop there?

I nearly pissed myself when I read this. Anybody recognize the style at all?

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g186412-i1295-k3428151-Avebury_Stone_Circle-Wiltshire_England.html
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index