Head To Head
Register
U-Know! Forum »
Ireland threatening to block Brexit deal ....

Pages: 6 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6200 posts

Re: Ireland... Tories threaten Good Friday Agreement to be tossed out on Blue Bin day.
Jun 30, 2017, 08:49
Howburn Digger wrote:

Remember Hillsborough. Remember Bloody Sunday. Remember how long it took to get to the truth and the massive damage done.

And lest we not forget, the truth of Hillsborough only came out because we have access to the European Court of Human Rights. If the UK Supreme Court was the court of last resort, the Hillsborough truth would still be buried.
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Re: Ireland... Tories threaten Good Friday Agreement to be tossed out on Blue Bin day.
Jun 30, 2017, 09:17
Thanks, another thought provoking post. I do have connections with NI (was in Derry briefly last year) and had an Irish/Catholic mother. I misread your first link to 'Angel' and thought I could watch it online, so may well order the dvd too.
nigelswift
8112 posts

Jun 30, 2017, 09:28
thesweetcheat wrote:
And lest we not forget, the truth of Hillsborough only came out because we have access to the European Court of Human Rights. If the UK Supreme Court was the court of last resort, the Hillsborough truth would still be buried.

Yes, the massive enthusiasm to cut us free from the European Court of Human Rights is the dodgiest, most suspicious element of the Leave agenda.
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6200 posts

Jun 30, 2017, 09:30
nigelswift wrote:
thesweetcheat wrote:

Yes, the massive enthusiasm to cut us free from the European Court of Human Rights is the dodgiest, most suspicious element of the Leave agenda.

Well the sainted Theresa wanted us out of that long before the referendum.
nigelswift
8112 posts

Jun 30, 2017, 10:45
It runs in the Tory blood, no external constraints on suppression.
dhajjieboy
913 posts

Jun 30, 2017, 11:17
You keep blathering on about this 1.5 Billion 'bribe'....
I've come to realize over the years here that you in particular are extremely one sided in your arguments and quite economical when it comes to understanding the big picture...
You see, knowing that about you, i did a little research...
No, i didn't read Russian propaganda links bunged up on a blog by totally blinkered agendist's either....
I've noticed as of late that you yourself can't be assed to call out such low caliber and and completely un-substantiated fodder for conspiracy theorists..nope.. not you...particularly when it suited your agenda, or bolstered your 1 sided points of view...

Anyhow...the real truth of the matter is that Northern Ireland has historically always costed the UK those amounts as the cost of doing business.
This is nothing new.

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/business/news/northern-ireland-is-officially-one-of-uks-costliest-regions-as-fiscal-deficit-hits-9bn-30152040.html

Here's the breakdown of how that money is going to be spent too :

http://www.belfastlive.co.uk/news/belfast-news/dup-tory-deal-heres-what-13239789

{for the attention limited here it is excerpted...}

This breaks down as follows:

£400 million for infrastructure projects (£200 million per year for two years)
£200 million for improvement of health service (£100 million per year for two years)
£150 million for ultra-fast broadband (£75 million per year for two years)
£100 million for tackling deprivation (£20 million per year for five years)
£100 million to address immediate pressures in health and education (£50 million per year for two years)
£50 million for mental health services (£10 million per year for five years)

These all seem to be sensible expenditures...but what the hell does Dhajjie know...???

If the "sainted Theresa May" {who by the way is STILL your prime minister} has to do business in a manner you don't agree with, particularly with Northern Ireland...That is Her concern far more than anything you will ever have to say about it.
It's pretty obvious that you and your like are going to be critical and un-supportive of everything she endeavors to do...
You keep calling out anyone and anything that doesn't identically match your flawed and outdated ideologies...
But Dhajjie knows that no matter how far apart you attempt to drive the wedge between yourselves and 'THEM', 'THEY' are still your countrymen.
It's too bad that you yourself will have nothing to do with improving things beyond complaining about it all on a rock and roll sub-forum.
Good luck with that.
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6200 posts

Edited Jun 30, 2017, 11:45
Jun 30, 2017, 11:41
"These all seem to be sensible expenditures...but what the hell does Dhajjie know...???"

That's the whole point, I'm glad you agree that the fiction of austerity is depriving the UK of "sensible expenditures".

They may well be sensible, but for 7 years this Tory government has argued that austerity is a necessity. Now suddenly when they need to find allies to keep them in power at any cost, it's not. And where is the equivalent money being released to Wales and Scotland? Oh wait, the Tories aren't relying on Plaid Cymru or SNP MPs to keep them in power.

And all of this places the GFA in terrible jeopardy.
dhajjieboy
913 posts

Jun 30, 2017, 11:56
It's all politics as usual...
Too bad it's not moving along quickly enough for you...
Maybe you could organize a protest about it.
{Don't forget to read up again, Merrick's post about evading arrest at your next soiree.}
nigelswift
8112 posts

Jun 30, 2017, 11:57
thesweetcheat wrote:
"These all seem to be sensible expenditures...but what the hell does Dhajjie know...???"

That's the whole point, I'm glad you agree that the fiction of austerity is depriving the UK of "sensible expenditures".

They may well be sensible, but for 7 years this Tory government has argued that austerity is a necessity. Now suddenly when they need to find allies to keep them in power at any cost, it's not. And where is the equivalent money being released to Wales and Scotland? Oh wait, the Tories aren't relying on Plaid Cymru or SNP MPs to keep them in power.

And all of this places the GFA in terrible jeopardy.

I think the problem is that local finance in exchange for central votes is much more prevalent in the American system. Known as pork I think. Not unknown here but when it raises it's head so blatantly there's a degree of revulsion. A Tory MP said in the House yesterday she was happy NI got the benefits but deeply ashamed of how it had happened, which sums it up nicely.

Anyway, having called an election 3 years early to get a stronger mandate and ended up with a weaker one there's a strong argument that under the parliamentary system as it ought and used to function she should have done the honorable thing. She didn't, so contempt is well merited.
Locodogz
Locodogz
254 posts

Jun 30, 2017, 12:03
Hi HD

Not sure theres any disagreement here - we're both of the view that the major problem is the threat to the GFA.

There's a bit of semantics as to whether the DUP per se are "the issue", however it is undoubtedly the DUP 'marriage of convenience' to the UK Tory party that is driving the threat to the GFA
Pages: 6 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index