U-Know! Forum »
Labour to win? Surely not...

Pages: 14 – [ Previous | 16 7 8 9 10 11 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
machineryelf
3679 posts

Re: Labour to win? Surely not...
Jun 10, 2017, 20:13
The SNP have no say on England, for that matter as far as I know neither do the DUP
http://www.thenational.scot/politics/15339860.Pete_Wishart__EVEL_rule_will_have_to_be_dumped_for_Tory_DUP_pact_to_function/?ref=rss
If the tories are mad enough to get rid of that then yes the SNP, I doubt very much that will happen though as it will be the death of the them, I'm not sure that climbing aboard with the DUP isn't already a tragic mistake.
They have clung on to ledge with the Irish waving one hand out to help whilst the other is out to grab as much as it can. The magic money tree will be going into overdrive to shake its leaves over NI infrastructure and business, assuming the DUP don't go completely bats in the meantime.
But to answer the original question I don't think anyone wants to enter into coalition with Labour at the moment, in the meantime who replaces May , Boris [hahahaha etc ] Amber Rudd , she'll melt down quicker than Theresa, Gideon has fucked off to the Standard, I'll bet IDS is at this very moment pacing up and down his dank cellar and rubbing grave dirt on his hands in glee and he comtemplates rising from the dead
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Jun 10, 2017, 20:24
To quote the Bard ...

"Rough winds do shake the darling buds of May.
And summer's lease hath all too short a date"
[Sonnet 18]
nigelswift
8112 posts

Jun 11, 2017, 09:00
machineryelf wrote:
in the meantime who replaces May , Boris [hahahaha etc ] Amber Rudd , she'll melt down quicker than Theresa, Gideon has fucked off to the Standard, I'll bet IDS is at this very moment pacing up and down his dank cellar and rubbing grave dirt on his hands in glee and he comtemplates rising from the dead

You forgot knifer Gove. He is said to be a possible as he's "untainted" by the election. Tainted with evil doings but not the election.

I guess it will be Boris in the end, although things are so dire for them it might pay to jump a generation. Ed Vaizey seems a good guy. A previous Remainer, which won't fit the party's bill, but a big critic of hard Brexit which will. And, I would think, more popular in the country than some of the walking dead.
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6200 posts

Jun 11, 2017, 09:13
It seems to me if they want to cling on and form a government they should ditch the DUP idea and seek to get agreement with the other big parties on what they want to push through. It's about time we had a more consensual collaborative approach to government. May though has no credibility now. I have no idea who they have in their top team that would be up to it either. Rudd barely convinced her own constituents. Johnson is a liability.

I said previously that this election was entirely unnecessary for Brexit and that if that really was the single biggest problem since the war, they should build a cabinet or at least a Brexit committee from across parties to get the best talents involved. I still believe that David Davies is incapable and that Kier Starmer is the obvious choice to represent Britain. Of course the nature of Brexit may be very different now.

We'll see what happens but I can't see how May can cling on now, her own party wants her to resign.
nigelswift
8112 posts

Edited Jun 11, 2017, 09:49
Jun 11, 2017, 09:33
I agree. I think it's becoming clear she went to the Queen too soon as she wasn't certain at that time the DUP would support her. If you're not sure whether you can form a stable (yes, that's the actual word!) administration the Queen has to issue a sort of conditional yes and you go back when you're sure. (It happened with Alec Douglas Home.)

And yes, at least trying to come to some sort of collaborative arrangement with the other parties would be a more satisfactory approach before putting us in hock to the likes of Ian Paisley Junior who said "I am pretty repulsed by gay and lesbianism. I think it is wrong. I think that those people harm themselves and – without caring about it – harm society."
machineryelf
3679 posts

Jun 11, 2017, 10:41
How could I forget Bod [v.easily it would seem] was he even up for election, I suspect he's licking his wounds in a corner somewhere, or more likely round at big daves laughing/crying into his small sherry
I think they will feed May to the lions, let her take the blame for when brexit becomes the clusterfuck it obviously is and in the meantime decide if boris the clown is up for it. He slunk away rather quickly the last time and he knows a poison chalice when he sees it. They might just put him in to be sacrificed whilst they try to work out why it's not working for them. As you say they need some new blood to step up to the mark, didn't Cameron have a set of 'young lions' in the wings, I'll give big dave his due he could handle the public perception bit way better than anyone else could/can
Toni Torino
2299 posts

Re: Now it's to be a formal coalition with cranks!
Jun 11, 2017, 10:49
nigelswift wrote:
What can you say?

Anna Soubry on Sunday Politics:

"I don't agree with the DUP on gay, lesbian, transgender, abortion & women's rights. But if we can put those differences aside..."
nigelswift
8112 posts

Jun 11, 2017, 11:00
They might just put him in to be sacrificed....

But he's smart, won't he see it's a poisoned chalice?
It's looking as if it's not just the Brexit consequences that are going to be hard to sell, but the negotiations too. Surely Europe will play hard ball right to the end, why wouldn't they? Which leaves hard Brexit, which the public are said to be rejecting, as the only option. He's young enough, he should wait 4 years.
machineryelf
3679 posts

Edited Jun 11, 2017, 14:31
Jun 11, 2017, 11:40
In 4 years he will have new competition, I think he will keep his head down, at the moment he's a winner , not in a top dog way but in a looking after No.1 not making any mistakes that he can't back out of, being a jolly chap of the people [as long as he doesn't actually have to eat with them or anything as plebian as that] May tried and failed, shes the new IDS , forever an also ran, she managed to win an election and somehow come second.
We are assuming of course that the tories will see the error of their ways and at least veer slightly back to the 'centrist' ground.Nothing to say that the hard right won't come barging in spouting we're too soft , let's get harder and take over and carry on in the same overbearing clueless manner hoping the Daily Mail will sort it all out

just been listening to Radio4 and a discussion about how to manage a hung parliament, involves a lot of hard work and cooperation , so that leaves....
oh dear.

shouldn't be too smug, if the positions were reversed I'd like to think Labour would unite under Corbyn, that's probably wishful thinking
nigelswift
8112 posts

Less and less dignity
Jun 11, 2017, 20:07
Hunt keeps job, unjustifiably, to avoid creating enemy, Gove reappointed, unjustifiably, to neutralise enemy.
Pages: 14 – [ Previous | 16 7 8 9 10 11 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index