Labour to win? Surely not...

Pages: 14 – [ Previous | 15 6 7 8 9 10 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
laresident
laresident
861 posts

Re: Kensington
Jun 10, 2017, 15:01
Shows how every vote counts. Maybe win Fulham and Chelsea next time!
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6210 posts

Re: Now it's to be a formal coalition with cranks!
Jun 10, 2017, 15:48
The DUP leader Arlene Foster has made a statement about working with Tory govt that says the UK is "under threat from extremists". You couldn't make it up.
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Edited Jun 10, 2017, 17:54
Re: Labour to win? Surely not...
Jun 10, 2017, 17:52
Putting the boot on the other foot, if the election results were reversed so that the Labour party needed exactly the same amount of seats as the conservatives did - who would they have formed a coalition with seeing that the Liberals had made it quite clear early on that they would not form a coalition with either the Conservatives or Labour?

http://www.libdems.org.uk/coalition
Robot Emperor
Robot Emperor
762 posts

Jun 10, 2017, 18:12
But Labour are now the most powerful left wing party in Europe - and have demonstrated that what were considered as old ideas still have traction with an electorate if offered. This result has global ramifications. Maybe even an influence in America.

I also think it makes a nonsense of the claims that the Brexit vote was due to a dominant right wing resurgence amongst the working class.
machineryelf
3681 posts

Jun 10, 2017, 18:37
The obvious answer is Plaid Cymru or the SNP, there is no left wing equivalent to the DUP
Sinn Fein are never going to sign up to UK parliament, and much as he has
been touted as friend of the terrorist Corbyn has the political sense to see what a stupid idea that would be
May on the other hand seems quite happy to destroy the NI peace process and climb into bed with a bunch of knuckle dragging neanderthals just to keep her job.She does seem to have a blindspot of the colour orange, unhappily for her it also destroys any chance of the press screaming Corbyn loves the IRA next time , though I'm sure they'll find something. It also raises again just how ugly the the right wing of British politics is, I see that Farage thinks he is coming back to save us all, or maybe even Trump has realised what a snivelling little shit he is and kicked him out of the U.S
machineryelf
3681 posts

Jun 10, 2017, 18:48
And all that despite this kind of nonsense
https://skwawkbox.org/2017/06/10/excl-labour-hq-defunded-marginals-corbyn-achieved-this-despite-them-ge17/

and this
http://www.nottinghampost.com/labour-missed-an-open-goal-in-the-election-says-nottingham-mp-chris-leslie/story-30382606-detail/story.html

some people never learn
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6210 posts

Jun 10, 2017, 19:02
The majority of Labour MPs seem to have realised that they need to get the party properly united behind the leader now. Many have been gracious in acknowledging they misjudged and underestimated Corbyn (although how much of that is typical Westminster weathervanism and how much is genuine remains to be seen).

Leslie is on his own to a large degree, but then I believe his wife ran an anti-Corbyn group at one point, so he's truly lost in Blairism.
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6210 posts

Jun 10, 2017, 19:10
I must admit to being only dimly aware of how much of a state the NI governing body is at the moment, it's too easy to get wrapped up in our more immediate problems. Direct rule from Westminster was already on the cards, but with DUP in government the whole thing is likely to escalate.

http://www.newsletter.co.uk/news/brokenshire-dup-and-sinn-fein-have-29-days-or-they-pass-the-baton-1-7985803
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Jun 10, 2017, 19:23
machineryelf wrote:
The obvious answer is Plaid Cymru or the SNP, there is no left wing equivalent to the DUP

If Corbyn is sufficiently pragmatic he oughtn't to rule out the option of forming a coalition with the SNP. Nicola Sturgeon has already declared herself open to that possibility, and I'm fairly certain SNP voters would be more likely to trust Corbyn than a neo-Blairite. When you look at how big Labour's power base was in Scotland 25 years ago compared to the almost total annihilation they've faced this time around, there would definitely be a possibility of forming a joint government if the two parties were amenable to amalgamating their votes.
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Jun 10, 2017, 19:26
machineryelf wrote:
Sinn Fein are never going to sign up to UK parliament, and much as he has
been touted as friend of the terrorist Corbyn has the political sense to see what a stupid idea that would be
May on the other hand seems quite happy to destroy the NI peace process and climb into bed with a bunch of knuckle dragging neanderthals just to keep her job.She does seem to have a blindspot of the colour orange, unhappily for her it also destroys any chance of the press screaming Corbyn loves the IRA next time , though I'm sure they'll find something. It also raises again just how ugly the the right wing of British politics is, I see that Farage thinks he is coming back to save us all, or maybe even Trump has realised what a snivelling little shit he is and kicked him out of the U.S

So just 4 extra seats then with Plaid Cymru or 35 isn't it with the SNP. 4 won't go far so what would be their chances of forming a coalition with the SNP?
Pages: 14 – [ Previous | 15 6 7 8 9 10 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index