Topic View: Flat | Threaded
nigelswift
8112 posts

Re: Heseltine cuts across the delusion?
Jun 18, 2017, 16:07
Howburn Digger wrote:

But the EU Austerity model really requires looking at

Fine, but....
https://www.theguardian.com/business/2017/jun/18/brexiters-vote-poverty-even-worse-than-austerity?CMP=share_btn_tw
carol27
747 posts

Re: Dead woman walking, sustained by Christian homophobes ....
Jun 18, 2017, 16:56
nigelswift wrote:

Arts minister..seriously? Any minister? I know I shouldn't keep swearing; i know everybody's entitled to their own opinion, but what the fuck...? She must be on a suicide mission surely. Maybe she's actually thinking fuck why haven't they got rid of me yet, what does it take?
Sin Agog
Sin Agog
2253 posts

Re: Labour to win? Surely not...
Jun 21, 2017, 16:46
Corbyn killing it at the beginning of parliament (skip to about 14.58): http://parliamentlive.tv/Event/Index/0784ef19-a1bb-49c0-9039-279b4b1fa664
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6200 posts

Jun 21, 2017, 22:22
And many of the Tories' least popular manifesto pledges dropped, including school breakfasts, death/dementia tax and (hurrah) fox hunting vote.

Even though Labour did not get into government (yet), this is undoubtedly a positive outcome.

Next up, the latest polling suggests a majority are in favour of a referendum on the terms of any negotiated Brexit deal, and are not in favour of leaving the single market. The implications are starting to become apparent to leavers, as are the negotiating abilities of Davies and Co. Even the DUP seem to be unimpressed. Perhaps the government's eagerness to interpret the "will of the people" as an exact match for the "will of the right of the Tory party" was misplaced.
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6200 posts

Jun 21, 2017, 22:32
PS did you see Queenie's hat?
grufty jim
grufty jim
1978 posts

Jun 21, 2017, 22:59
thesweetcheat wrote:
And many of the Tories' least popular manifesto pledges dropped, including school breakfasts, death/dementia tax and (hurrah) fox hunting vote.

Even though Labour did not get into government (yet), this is undoubtedly a positive outcome.

Next up, the latest polling suggests a majority are in favour of a referendum on the terms of any negotiated Brexit deal, and are not in favour of leaving the single market. The implications are starting to become apparent to leavers, as are the negotiating abilities of Davies and Co. Even the DUP seem to be unimpressed. Perhaps the government's eagerness to interpret the "will of the people" as an exact match for the "will of the right of the Tory party" was misplaced.

Even the DUP seem to be unimpressed

If I was the UK; the current tory front-bench is one of the last places I'd look for people to oversee Brexit negotiations. Johnson, Fox, Davis and May have lost whatever credibility they might once have had. They are completely out of their depth in terms of the skillset required, and the election result has dramatically undermined their entire position.

Right now, I can't see any strategy for the UK -- aside from a complete U-Turn -- that will not end in serious economic problems (both for the UK and for my own country; Ireland). There is also the very real chance that a hard-border in Ireland would see a resurgence of violence.

If that happens...

... well, let's just hope it doesn't.

Having said all that; it's no shame to have the DUP unimpressed by your negotiating skills. I dislike the DUP more than you can possibly imagine, but only a fool would downplay or underestimate their negotiating ability. For the past 20 years, Northern Irish politics has basically been one continuous negotiating session between two hard-as-nails, resolutely uncompromising sides possessed of a deep mutual animosity. All happening under the looming shadow of a gunman, just looking for a reason to return.

The DUP would face down almost any European Political Party across the negotiating table. And they'll certainly eat the tories alive if May decides to go through with the deal.

They'd almost be a good choice for the UK's Brexit negotiators. Y'know, if they weren't such fucking lunatics...
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6200 posts

Jun 21, 2017, 23:09
Couldn't agree more. May has had opportunities (before calling the wholly unnecessary election) to form a cross-party committee to deal with Brexit, rather than the intellectually stunted Davies and the tarnished Fox.

Personally I still think the enormity of the blunder is starting to come home. I also think the complete disregard for Ireland being shown by the government is one of the most unforgivable aspects, both in their willingness to jeopardise the GFA to get a deal with the DUP and also over their shrugging of the shoulders over the border question.
nigelswift
8112 posts

Jun 22, 2017, 08:37
thesweetcheat wrote:
Personally I still think the enormity of the blunder is starting to come home. .

Exactly. It didn't say on the side of the bus that Brexit would involve negotiating with both the DUP and Europe with both of them holding all the aces.
nigelswift
8112 posts

A year ago yesterday....
Jun 24, 2017, 07:49
There are varying views, but I prefer this:

Danny Blanchflower?Verified account @D_Blanchflower
The shortest economic suicide note any country has issued in the last fifty years the world is aghast at the stupidity
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Jun 30, 2017, 08:58
Sanctuary wrote:
The worst scenario - a hung parliament!

Firstly though, let me congratulate the Labour party and all their supporters here for putting up such a good fight without actually winning. Without a doubt theirs was far better campaign than the conservatives who's leader was far too over confident. If she remains as our PM maybe she will have learnt to not be so casual about things in future. She took on all before her when continually being blocked into triggering Article 50 but let her own self-belief get the better of her by not campaigning forcefully enough.

I voted in this election with one aim in mind as you know - Brexit, because I believe the conservatives who already had their finger on the trigger, were well prepared to negotiate our way out of Europe - and I still do.

They are still there of course and as they no doubt will call upon the DUP, will have a party that also wanted out so that is a plus for them.

Whatever, they are still here and I hope they learn from their mistakes and looking at the long term - which we all have to - give us what the opposition were offering which they weren't, or we know what will happen next time!

That's my take on it anyway so will leave it at that and now stay silent, other than again say well done to the Labour supporters who got so close.

Well, well…

The lady fights back…and HAS learnt something.

How disappointing for all the people who despise and hate her even though she has had more to deal with over the last two months at least than any other PM in recent history – and that’s aside from the little task of just running our country. Of course it goes without saying that all her despisers could have done much better without getting out of their armchairs – but didn’t have to prove it of course!

If this was a game of Political Football this ‘Useless and Incompetent lady’ who was going to be replaced within two weeks, would now be 4-0 up on the ‘very competent and natural leader’ Jeremy Corbyn who claimed he would be PM in six months time.

Her supposedly split cabinet who were in turmoil and disarray and about to bin her, were in fact rallying around her and it was Corbyn’s lot that were split and in disarray. Three more frontbenchers sacked and another resigned last night after another beating! What a surprise – even though they were exactly like that leading up to the election!

A very canny and underrated lady who will lead us out of the EU far better than Corbyn and his motley crew ever could. She has my full support and backing on this as a true Brit.

I will be back in a further month to comment on what happened in the meantime – good or bad. No more to say for now so no point in asking.
Pages: 14 – [ Previous | 19 10 11 12 13 14 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index