U-Know! Forum »
The Day before Tomorrow

Pages: 5 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
nigelswift
8112 posts

Re: The Day before Tomorrow
Jun 08, 2017, 13:06
Suspicious too that the Sun and Mail, faced with a choice of all sorts of issues on which to attack Labour on the last day, went for the "friends of terrorists" calumny. Easily swallowed by the unthinking and delivered too late to be effectively countered.
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6210 posts

Jun 08, 2017, 13:10
The front pages of those two rags are a disgrace.

And surprise, surprise May won't implement Leveson 2, whereas Corbyn would.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/05/18/tories-pledge-drop-leveson-part-two-investigation-corrupt-dealings/
nigelswift
8112 posts

Jun 08, 2017, 13:15
"The front pages of those two rags are a disgrace."

Doesn't matter, it's the result that matters. No-one ever won anything by writing the truth on the side of a bus.
dhajjieboy
913 posts

Jun 08, 2017, 13:19
Never read those rags myself, but if a sampling of this last weeks posts in this forum is anything to go on, why wouldn't the 'opposition' think that the 'good guys'are anything but terrorist apologists/molly coddlers?
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Jun 08, 2017, 14:25
thesweetcheat wrote:
Or, the "If you've done nothing wrong you've got nothing to fear" argument that has been used for decades by right wing regimes as they remove basic human rights from their citizens.

Edited for formatting

Hmmm... something of a generalization, tsc, if I may say so. Perhaps a lot of how we function as a society rests on what that society has created over centuries. I might be generalizing myself here by saying that ‘newer’ societies, governed by ‘less democratic’ politics, might be more inclined to not only remove basic human rights but to not implement them in the first place! I really can’t see Western democracies allowing basic human rights to be ‘removed’ but people in those Western democracies might approve of a degree of greater control over their day-to-day lives if that means they are safer as a result.

As a foreign national living abroad I had to carry an Alien Registration card at all times (a card with both my photo and fingerprints on it). Once, when I forgot to carry it, I was stopped by a policeman and spent the next four or five hours in a police station while he checked out (phone calls etc) that I was who I said I was. A little inconvenient, and it happened once once. The rest of the time I was free to move round the country as if I was a national of that country.

Personally I see no reason why we shouldn’t all carry ID cards (or passports). We do, after all, often need to show proof of identity so if this level of ID security would help keep us safer (and weed out those who have no legal basis for being here) then so be it.
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6210 posts

Jun 08, 2017, 19:03
Thing is though, none of those measures or suggestions you're making are prevented by or inconsistent with the human rights act.

In my mind the question returns to which of those basic rights May and Sanctuary think we need to scrap in order to do whatever it is they think we should do.

I don't think I'm likely to get an answer to that question though, am I?
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6210 posts

Jun 08, 2017, 19:07
So true. And they wonder why I keep railing on.
Pages: 5 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index