U-Know! Forum »
British cities bombed in the Blitz

22 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
veneta1
223 posts

Re: British cities bombed in the Blitz
Jun 06, 2017, 19:08
I'm in my sixties and live just outside Manchester City centre. No more than thirty six hours after the Manchester bombing I travelled into the city to meet a couple of friends. I would have used Victoria Station but it was closed due to the events at the MEN Arena, so I travelled into Piccadilly Station. We walked around the centre, went over to St Ann's Square to look at the floral tributes, and then went for a couple of pints in a pub on Oldham Street, just up from Piccadilly Records. We never thought to change our plans and were in no way frightened or cowed by the events of two days before. The same could have been said of the thousands of other people who were going about their usual daily lives. To have acted differently would have played into the hands of the murderers who had caused this atrocity.

My grandfather served in both the First and Second World Wars. My father was in the RAF for thirty five years. I know what they would have called anybody who allowed themselves to be 'cowed' by such events.
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index