Pages: 3 – [ 1 2 3 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Edited Jun 06, 2017, 16:02
British cities bombed in the Blitz
Jun 06, 2017, 15:37
I’m sorry you see me as being pedantic tsc. You claimed that most British cities had the shit bombed out of them in the Blitz. Neither of those claims are true (as far as I can see) and if we can’t go forward on the facts then we can’t really go forward at all. Less than half of British cities were actually bombed and some far more heavily than others. It’s estimated that London had 18,291 tonnage of bombs dropped on it whereas Cardiff suffered 115.

We all have personal family stories and tragedies to tell of the War, though I don’t think any of us here actually lived through it. As a child of five however I still remember seeing the bombed out ruins of Liverpool in 1950. And as late as 1957 the same could still be seen in parts of London. I also remember being sent to the shops clutching the family ration book and being told by my mother that if I lost it I needn't bother coming home. :-)

Drew: Aberdeen, Dundee and Edinburgh are three of the cities included in the 50 that were bombed.
laresident
laresident
861 posts

Re: British cities bombed in the Blitz
Jun 06, 2017, 15:53
I must say I liked thesweetcheats reminder and insight into the Brit character on the other, now closed thread. A good antidote to the embarrassingly raving daily tweets of some of my adopted countrymen.
nigelswift
8112 posts

Jun 06, 2017, 16:00
Don't be embarrassed, we all know loads of personable Americans.
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6210 posts

Jun 06, 2017, 17:41
Thank you, I appreciate that.

As I hope most will have understood when I posted earlier, regardless of the number/percentage of cities bombed, the citizens of those cities that were heavily bombed (including London) were not cowed. LS is no doubt correct on the statistics, my bad. But I think it's insulting to Londoners and the British population generally to suggest that they have been "cowed" by the recent terrorist attacks, any more than they were by Nazi bombs or decades of IRA activities.

The statement that Sanctuary made from afar has been contradicted by London residents who post on here, with direct, personal knowledge of London at the present time.

I also stand by my opinion that a retreat into fear, knee-jerk reaction or running scared are not helpful responses and only serve the terrorists' purpose.

And as for dhajjie denying the civilian deaths in Iraq/Syria that his own country's military have acknowledged, that's insulting to people in those countries whose lives have been destroyed and continue to be destroyed on a massive scale.
dhajjieboy
913 posts

Jun 06, 2017, 17:52
You just can't help being a manipulative shit head....
i never denied ANYTHING....
Just saw through your smokescreen with the facts.

You go ahead and keep trying...maybe someday i too will be an apologist..
that day is not today though.
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6210 posts

Jun 06, 2017, 17:57
Here's what you said:

"Nice hatchet job link you posted about all the 'civilian' deaths you posted too....When the utter gobshites in those 'communities' stop launching attacks from there own communities...much less fleeing back to them...then maybe...'they' won't be responsible for all the death and destruction that will inevitably follow them to their own doorsteps.
Your article doesn't mention that....
Satellite imaging in the middle eastern deserts is crystal clear...we know exactly who 'we' are targeting and routing."

Your country's military acknowledged that the deaths referred to were civilian deaths. The only disputed element is the numbers. US military say 100s, other sources suggest 1000s. Many of deaths are of children.
dhajjieboy
913 posts

Jun 06, 2017, 18:04
I'm sorry...you seem to know far more than anyone about all this...

How many enemy combatants were eliminated among-st the midst of all those 'innocent' 'civilians'..?

I know....none....'they' were all just randomly and haphazardly destroyed 'innocents'....

in your world maybe.

i understand that the White Helmets are the enemy too..
i learn so much from this sites membership.
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6210 posts

Jun 06, 2017, 18:08
The article I linked to didn't say there were no IS fighters killed. It was centred on the civilian casualties.

Are civilians in Iraq and Syria not entitled to the basic human rights that we enjoy? Just because they live in a war zone? Why do you think their lives are worth less than yours?
dhajjieboy
913 posts

Jun 06, 2017, 18:10
I NEVER used the word WORTH anywhere...
you are far too dishonest a person to continue debating anymore.
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Jun 06, 2017, 18:31
laresident wrote:
I must say I liked thesweetcheats reminder and insight into the Brit character on the other, now closed thread. A good antidote to the embarrassingly raving daily tweets of some of my adopted countrymen.

Thanks.

And this from an internet friend in the States, “We are just so saddened here in the states by all of the horrific news coming out of England. There really are no words for this. I'm so sorry that this is how life has become now. xoxo.”

During my many years living abroad most of my English-speaking friends were American (maybe that’s why I don’t have a problem with American English :-). Nearly fifty years on I’m still good friends with some of them and it’s always a delight when we meet up.

America, though I’ve only visited twice, is a beacon for many around the world and at its core is stronger than Trump and those who elected him. There’s no doubt in my mind that the pendulum will swing back again into a more sensible position – maybe sooner than we all think. :-)
Pages: 3 – [ 1 2 3 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index