Ivory Trade Ban

32 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6200 posts

Ivory Trade - no total ban
May 30, 2017, 22:17
So he's just acknowledged that they won't be implementing a total ban then, just as we all said.

"If a total ban were to be implemented, then this would stop the sale of items that contain ivory which are very old, such as antiques. Blocking the sale of such items would not necessarily have any effect on protecting elephants, and all efforts must be put into stopping the sale of new ivory which has been taken from elephants."

By coincidence, I got a reply from my Tory candidate today too. He also made it clear (without actually answering the straight question, obviously) that they would only pursue a ban on sales of "modern-day" ivory.

"Like you, I am very concerned about the effect of illegal poaching and ivory trafficking on the long-term prospects for the survival of the elephant. UK law does not permit trade in raw ivory tusks of any age, and Ministers are pressing for this approach to be taken internationally. The Government has also announced plans to ban sales of modern-day ivory, which will put the UK’s rules on ivory sales among the toughest in the world."
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index