U-Know! Forum »
Brexit and the Environment: "a huge risk"

Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
nigelswift
8112 posts

Brexit and the Environment: "a huge risk"
May 24, 2017, 09:01
You can believe the claims (and platitudinous generalised promises) of some vote-chasing politicians and their devotees or you can believe the experts:

Professor Bill Adams, professor of conservation and development, University of Cambridge

Professor Andrew Balmford, professor of conservation science, University of Cambridge

Dr Andy Brown, former chief executive, English Nature

Mr. Poul Christiensen CBE, former chair, Natural England

Professor Paul Ekins OBE, professor of resources and environmental policy, University College London

Mr Nigel Haigh OBE, former chair of Green Alliance and former director, the Institute for European Environmental Policy

Sir John Harman, former chair, Environment Agency, and founding director, Aldersgate Group

Professor Sir John Lawton CBE FRS, former chair of the Royal Commission on Environment and Pollution, former chief executive, Natural Environment Research Council

Mr. Adrian Phillips, former chief executive, Countryside Commission, former Chair, IUCN Word Commission on Protected Areas

Dr Helen Phillips, former chief executive, Natural England

Dame Fiona Reynolds, chair Green Alliance, former director general, National Trust,

Lord Chris Smith, former chair, Environment Agency

Sir Graham Wynne, deputy chair, Green Alliance, former chief executive, RSPB

Baroness Young of Old Scone, former chief executive, Environment Agency and the RSPB

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/eu-referendum-brexit-poses-huge-risk-to-britains-countryside-experts-warn-a6835426.html
Locodogz
Locodogz
254 posts

Re: Brexit and the Environment: "a huge risk"
May 24, 2017, 11:41
I think we all know we're a bit 'over reliant' on these so called experts....

Precisely why I'm entrusting the servicing of my car to next door's 7 year old son....I mean he's good with meccano and how hard can these things be.......
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

May 24, 2017, 17:20
Haaaaaaaa haaaaaaaaaaa

How much of a loser can you become when you start posting articles that were written 5 months prior to the Referendum and FAILED!

Just to remind you that over half the country voted out (remember) so we're coming out which means more people didn't swallow the 'experts' advice than did.

Would you like me to send you an estate agents houses for sale list in France as you will obviously be shipping out so that you can remain in Europe!

Good try though!
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6210 posts

Edited May 24, 2017, 17:45
May 24, 2017, 17:44
The Environment Audit Committee of the House of Commons shares these concerns and has published numerous reports since the referendum highlighting its concerns:

http://www.parliament.uk/business/committees/committees-a-z/commons-select/environmental-audit-committee/publications/

The House of Lords EU Committee has also published a report in which it highlights the fact that withdrawal from the EU will have far-reaching impact on the environmental law in this country:
https://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/ld201617/ldselect/ldeucom/109/109.pdf

The NFU have expressed concern that if the UK does not replicate equivalent standards to those in place in the EU, UK farmers will be unable to sell their produce to EU markets, whereas the government wants to reduce standards in order to compete with lower standard practices in place outside the EU: https://www.nfuonline.com/about-us/our-offices/south-east/south-east-news/nfu-response-to-environment-report-post-brexit/

None of these bodies are crazed tree-hugging loony lefties eating mung beans and living in tents. These are informed experts. All reporting post-referendum.
nigelswift
8112 posts

Edited May 24, 2017, 18:13
May 24, 2017, 18:11
Sanctuary wrote:
Haaaaaaaa haaaaaaaaaaa
Just to remind you that over half the country voted out (remember) so we're coming out which means more people didn't swallow the 'experts' advice than did.

That's correct. A perfect summary.
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

May 24, 2017, 18:33
nigelswift wrote:
Sanctuary wrote:
Haaaaaaaa haaaaaaaaaaa

That's correct. A perfect summary.

Which just goes to show how much it meant to them to leave!
nigelswift
8112 posts

May 24, 2017, 19:20
Sanctuary wrote:

Which just goes to show how much it meant to them to leave!

Correct again.
nigelswift
8112 posts

Edited May 25, 2017, 10:05
May 25, 2017, 10:00
Sanctuary wrote:
Haaaaaaaa haaaaaaaaaaa
Would you like me to send you an estate agents houses for sale list in France as you will obviously be shipping out so that you can remain in Europe!

That taunt, like so much you say, is based on shallow thinking. FYI I am of an age that has meant I've been part of the lucky generation and will be fine, whatever Brexit brings. My concern is for young people, who won't be.

So should yours be, and in particular in your home county Cornwall - the most deprived English county and the second most deprived region of Northern Europe. Your (presumed) expectation that the Tories will step in to shield it and it's young people from the imminent loss of European funding is really rather sad, especially given your raucous "We won, get over it" dialogue.
Cornwall's young people didn't win.
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

May 25, 2017, 10:40
nigelswift wrote:
Sanctuary wrote:
Haaaaaaaa haaaaaaaaaaa

That taunt, like so much you say, is based on shallow thinking. FYI I am of an age that has meant I've been part of the lucky generation and will be fine, whatever Brexit brings. My concern is for young people, who won't be.

So should yours be, and in particular in your home county Cornwall - the most deprived English county and the second most deprived region of Northern Europe. Your (presumed) expectation that the Tories will step in to shield it and it's young people from the imminent loss of European funding is really rather sad, especially given your raucous "We won, get over it" dialogue.
Cornwall's young people didn't win.

You are such a depressing person who always sees no future in anything that suits you at the time. I'm not like that as life never runs smooth 24/7 and I understand that but you don't. Sometimes you have to have patience dear boy...Rome wasn't built in a day and neither will Brexit as all sensible people understand except you Remoaners that is. Feel free to keep preaching to the converted though if it fills your day as I'm not interested. I will be supporting my country while you are still finding ways to bring it down by scouring all the daily rags and fake news on the Internet to get the slightest whiff of a way of spreading your poison further. Time to give it a rest I think.
nigelswift
8112 posts

May 25, 2017, 11:02
For the Nth time you avoid responding to valid points by filling the space with cheap jibes. It's a pattern.

My point was that you can't expect the Tories to come to Cornwall's rescue. Surrey yes, Cornwall no - and you probably KNOW that and how they are, which is why you've never voted for them in your life.
Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index