Exports 134
Domestic Use 751
nigelswift
8112 posts

Edited Jul 27, 2017, 06:22
Re: Brexit and the UK food industry.
Jul 27, 2017, 06:21
Gladwin wrote:

(c) it was all based on xenophobia all along and the proponents don't want to admit that........And still not one of them can point to a real, tangible benefit of Brexit.

Yes and yes. Not only can they not point to real, tangible benefits but the benefits they thought would arise are disappearing, one by one. Today it's the fact the Govt. has launched a migration study http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-40734504. No prizes for guessing they'll use that to back peddle on reducing numbers. Much to the fury of the bus people.
nigelswift
8112 posts

Jul 27, 2017, 08:29
Douglas Carswell argued that Brexit was "not an angry nativist xenophobic vote" but "won precisely because it was an argument about Britain being open, internationalist, generous, and globalist".
We're about to see if he was lying.
Howburn Digger
Howburn Digger
986 posts

Jul 27, 2017, 17:42
thesweetcheat wrote:
2014 figures for milk, butter and cheese:

Butter ('000 TONNES)
Production 141
Imports 95
Exports 51
Domestic Use 185

Cheese ('000 TONNES)
Production 416
Imports 469
Exports 134
Domestic Use 751

So we import more than half the butter we use.

And we import more than half the cheese we use.

Captain Starlet wrote:
Well talking to all the independent farmers around the country who say otherwise I'll take their viewpoint on it as they're the ones who'll lose out!

I don't think you have been "talking to ALL the independent farmers round the country" at all. Whether they said wise or otherwise.
I am not having any kind of dig at hard working small independent farmers, they have seldom had anything except minimum wage (actually much less) from the "single farm payment" subsidy anyway. All that has happened is that it has made small farmers raising crops and livestock have a hard time and fat wealthy land-owning tax avoiders have an easy life scooping benefits and subsidies for not farming but "guarding the land".

I see miles and miles of empty fields growing nothing but a few sheep and hay for horse fodder sales. There are mega-estates in Southern Scotland owned by the ultra-wealthy. You can drive for miles and miles and see no productive farming at all. I do not think EU "single farm payment" subsidies should be going to pay "farmers" who do nothing but sell a couple of pony rides and let kids feed two white goats at a "petting farm" for a fiver a head. Nor should "single farm payment" subsidies be going to "farms" who provide nothing but livery, grazing and stabling for horses rich people cannot keep in their suburban gardens. Something seems to be subsidised there and I know it is not hard working farmers who are growing livestock and crops. Nor should we be paying the already hideously wealthy IDS and his wife £1.5 Million in subsidies for the estate they inherited - whether they do anything productive with the estate or not... they get the money... from us.
The rotten system of Single Farm Payments should go and be replaced with something which is designed to cater for hard working small independent farmers - not the mega rich estates of the already mega wealthy and tax-dodging overseas investment portfolios of non-resident non-producers. It has taken the EU decades of careful planning and work to get the Single Farm Paynment fiasco and independent farming to this sorry state.
Sorry if I didn't make myself clear before.
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6210 posts

Jul 27, 2017, 18:17
But again you're being selective. We produce the vast majority of the milk we consume, and enough on top to export far more than we import. Butter and cheese imports are at least partly accounted for by taste, as presumably our consumers prefer imported varieties over UK ones.
Howburn Digger
Howburn Digger
986 posts

Edited Jul 28, 2017, 14:42
Jul 28, 2017, 14:41
thesweetcheat wrote:
But again you're being selective. We produce the vast majority of the milk we consume, and enough on top to export far more than we import. Butter and cheese imports are at least partly accounted for by taste, as presumably our consumers prefer imported varieties over UK ones.

I am not being selective. The Single Farm Payment which makes up the majority of the "subsidy" the EU pays to farmers and it does not benefit small independent farmers beyond a sub-minimum wage income. It only benefits the mega-rich and it benefits them whether they grow food or not. So the SFP does not really contribute to the UK food industry.
The UK food industry is predominately run by massive businesses whose corporate goals are not necessarily those of food consumers.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink/foodanddrinknews/9859915/Horse-meat-scandal-How-horses-slaughtered-in-Romania-end-up-on-British-plates.html

As for UK milk... only a 6% drop in actual milk production in the last 20 years but a 61% drop in the number of dairy farmers. That is achieved by creating massive dairy factory farms and bizarre genetic manipulation of dairy cattle... most milk cows seldom see fresh air now, the milk yields are pushed to ridiculous limits per animal and the squeeze on gate prices by supermarkets has caused untold pressure and misery for small independent farmers who are simply kicked out of the industry. The Single Farm Payment actually does nothing to help them in these matters at all. Massive business interests have seen to that. There has been a reduction of 61% in Dairy Farmers (that is a SIXTY ONE percent reduction).

Dairy Producers across the UK fell from 35,741 to 13,815 between 1995 and 2015. That is a 61% reduction.
Milk/ Cream Imports 2005 = 158,000 tonnes
Milk/ Cream Imports 2014 = 221,000 tonnes

Dairy Producers (Scotland) 1995 - 2015 = 2,239 down to 886
Dairy Producers (England) 1995 - 2015 = 28,093 down to 10,274

Diversification into petting farms, livery for rich people's horses and being countryside guardians is not a contribution to the food industry. Unless the rich are sending their old nags to Romania for the knackers lasagne yard.
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6210 posts

Jul 28, 2017, 17:58
It's been a long, tiring week so I'll shut up on this now, but it still feels too much like apples are being compared with oranges in this argument.
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6210 posts

Aug 05, 2017, 08:17
Today's naysayers doom-mongering about the food industry, just in case anyone thought any of this was going away:

https://amp.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/aug/05/brexit-uk-food-industry-eu-fruit-veg-pickers

"Who knows? We could turn the suddenly vacated fields into nostalgic theme parks, where people could watch re-enactments of the second world war while eating imported strawberries: it would be the perfect Brexit day out, should anyone be able to afford it."
Pages: 7 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index