15 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
phallus dei
583 posts

Edited May 13, 2017, 00:31
Re: USSA
May 13, 2017, 00:31
laresident wrote:
I agree that better relations with Russia would be a good thing. I'm not sure if Trump is the person to do it. I'm however more disturbed by the threat of Russia, Trump or anyone poses to the democratic system of elections and the influence of money in politics.

Thanks for being civil in your disagreement.

My own view is that America had already reached such a sorry state of corruption that it's difficult to see how Trump will make things worse. There was a widely-cited report by Princeton political scientists in 2014 that America could no longer be considered a democracy, but was better understood as an oligarchy

http://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-echochambers-27074746

Originally, I had placed some hope in Trump's "drain the swamp" rhetoric, though that hope now seems to be naïve. (I have a tendency of getting fooled by politicians - before Trump, I voted for Obama twice.)

So all the corruption and nepotism charges to me appear as "par for the course."

Where I think genuine progress may still be made would be in reorientating American foreign policy. I had briefly given up on that, too, after Trump launched his missile attack on Syria. But the recent Trump-Lavrov meeting gives me some hope that better ties can be formed. We'll see how things go.

U-Know! Forum Index