U-Know! Forum »
Well done Andy Burnham!

Topic View: Flat | Threaded
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Well done Andy Burnham!
May 05, 2017, 17:59
A very able politician - Well Done Manchester too. Not all good news for Labour today but some ...

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/labour-andy-burnham-elected-latest-live-mayor-greater-manchester-local-elections-2017-a7720366.html

Quote:
Labour's Andy Burnham has won the election for the newly-created Mayor of Greater Manchester role. Mr Burnham, the former MP for Leigh, won a majority of votes in the first round of counting with 63 per cent of the vote.
The newly elected Mayor said: "You have given me a big job to do and a big job with which to do it. I will give it my all and I won't let you down. All I can saw is wow, 63 per cent of the vote – pretty good."
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6209 posts

Re: Well done Andy Burnham!
May 05, 2017, 18:29
And he's donating a hefty chunk of his mayoral wages to the homeless.

But not good news for Labour generally, to lose Tees Valley is unthinkable. And they've collapsed in Scotland too.
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Edited May 05, 2017, 22:33
May 05, 2017, 20:05
thesweetcheat wrote:
And he's donating a hefty chunk of his mayoral wages to the homeless.

But not good news for Labour generally, to lose Tees Valley is unthinkable. And they've collapsed in Scotland too.

The results do not bode well do they. When the big disillusion sets in, as it most certainly will over the next five years, someone else will be needed to take over from Jeremy Corbyn. If and when he stands down. Andy Burnham could well be the person for the job - if he wanted it. He has the integrity and the political experience.

Edited.
nigelswift
8112 posts

Edited May 06, 2017, 06:25
May 06, 2017, 05:53
Andy Burnham could well be the person for the job - if he wanted it.

Well he did say having tried twice he wouldn't try again, but he certainly looks likely. Pointless to speculate but had he won the leadership everything would have been different in both Britain and Europe as he'd have explained the Remain case so much more forcefully in the places it should have been. As he said, Labour's campaign was "too much Hamstead, not enough Hull".
drewbhoy
drewbhoy
2553 posts

May 06, 2017, 07:16
Would he encourage Labour supporters to vote Tory in Scotland?
nigelswift
8112 posts

May 06, 2017, 08:32
drewbhoy wrote:

Hope not. Tactical voting shouldn't be pushed to insane levels.
drewbhoy
drewbhoy
2553 posts

May 06, 2017, 10:19
nigelswift wrote:
drewbhoy wrote:

They did it in the council elections :-( Labour are a disgrace up here.
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

May 06, 2017, 10:19
nigelswift wrote:
Andy Burnham could well be the person for the job - if he wanted it.

Well he did say having tried twice he wouldn't try again, but he certainly looks likely. Pointless to speculate but had he won the leadership everything would have been different in both Britain and Europe as he'd have explained the Remain case so much more forcefully in the places it should have been. As he said, Labour's campaign was "too much Hamstead, not enough Hull".

I agree with Burnham's stance that politics are too London-centric. London is a great cosmopolitan, capital city but is a bubble. Londoners generally are out of touch with rest of the country and like it that way. I speak not as someone who lived in London for many years but as someone who still visits regularly as has a son/family still there. His lifestyle is one I don't really recognize.
I like Andy Burnham a lot, among his many attributes is loyalty. He has always said he would never stand against Jeremy Corbyn in a leadership campaign. He would have to be elected as an MP again though wouldn't he, if he want to stand later down the line. Whatever, his credentials are good.
http://www.lbc.co.uk/radio/presenters/iain-dale/andy-burnham-dont-count-jeremy-corbyn-out/?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=referral
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

May 06, 2017, 10:28
drewbhoy wrote:
nigelswift wrote:
drewbhoy wrote:

Sad! When you think of great principled Scottish Labour politicians from the past such as John Smith and Robin Cook. I quite liked Alistair Darling too. Its clear the SNP offer a more radical alternative to the Labour Party but we don't have that choice south of the border.
drewbhoy
drewbhoy
2553 posts

May 06, 2017, 17:46
tjj wrote:
drewbhoy wrote:
nigelswift wrote:
drewbhoy wrote:

Sad! When you think of great principled Scottish Labour politicians from the past such as John Smith and Robin Cook. I quite liked Alistair Darling too. Its clear the SNP offer a more radical alternative to the Labour Party but we don't have that choice south of the border.

SGP as well. You do have a choice vote Green or create a new party.
U-Know! Forum Index