U-Know! Forum »
Genital mutilation..

Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
dhajjieboy
913 posts

Genital mutilation..
Apr 22, 2017, 19:40
Is apparently still practiced among-st certain 'folks' on their 7 year old daughters....
They bought this quaint 'custom' with them to the new world....

read it and weep:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/more-charges-filed-in-detroit-in-genital-mutilation-probe/ar-BBA7QeS?li=BBnbfcL

I guess the situation I previously posted about in Chechnya would not be worth mentioning that it was/is being brought to bear by these same 'folks'....

Cultural diversity and all that.
And yes....
I know, 'who the fuck am I to question these things'....
phallus dei
583 posts

Edited Apr 23, 2017, 01:26
Re: Genital mutilation..
Apr 22, 2017, 22:20
Here's a case where we agree - FGM is a sick practice whether it be done in the West, East, or anywhere in between. I think the desire to not "offend" and accept every culture as "equally valid" has gotten out of hand. Some things are barbaric, no matter how long of a tradition they represent.
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6209 posts

Apr 23, 2017, 07:58
phallus dei wrote:
Here's a case where we agree - FGM is a sick practice whether it be done in the West, East, or anywhere in between. I think the desire to not "offend" and accept every culture as "equally valid" has gotten out of hand. Some things are barbaric, no matter how long of a tradition they represent.

Yep, don't see anyone disagreeing with dhaj on this. I'm not sure I've ever heard anyone defend FGM so as not to offend either.
phallus dei
583 posts

Apr 23, 2017, 13:41
[/quote]

Yep, don't see anyone disagreeing with dhaj on this. I'm not sure I've ever heard anyone defend FGM so as not to offend either.[/quote]

In US academia (at least in some places), FGM is presented as reflecting the values of a particular culture, and as such we (the West) aren't in a position to "condemn" it. While I agree with such a stance in principle, I think it some cases, the wrongness of an action is so apparent that attempts at political correctness are counter-productive.
nigelswift
8112 posts

Apr 23, 2017, 14:05
Irrevocable gross disfigurement of a minor. Not a lot of room for debate IMO.
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Edited May 04, 2017, 16:51
Apr 24, 2017, 11:27
Only ever met one person who's tried to defend female genital mutilation as a cultural prerogative (and that was IRL, not online). Needless to say I told them where to get off.
phallus dei
583 posts

Edited Apr 25, 2017, 12:20
Apr 25, 2017, 01:55
Seems the politically correct New York Times prefers to refer to the practice as "Female Genital Cutting", since "Female Genital Mutilation" is a "culturally loaded term" that "widens the chasm" between "Western (and some African) advocates who campaign against the practice and the people who follow the rite"

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/04/24/new-york-times-scraps-female-genital-mutilation-for-being-culturally-loaded-term.html

And here is the original comment from the NYT, in case people decide that "Fox is not a reliable source"... You have to go down a bit to find it, though...
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/21/public-editor/friday-mailbag-a-patriots-photo-lets-trump-score-a-point.html
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Edited Apr 25, 2017, 17:12
Apr 25, 2017, 17:11
dhajjieboy wrote:

I know, 'who the fuck am I to question these things'....

It goes without saying you have every right. I admit to not readily responding to this topic and have to ask myself (as a female) "why the fuck am I not questioning these things ..." Its not that I'm not, the practice is abhorrent - its just I'm not doing it out loud.
"FGM is defined by the WHO as "all procedures that involve partial or total removal of the external female genitalia, or other injury to the female genital organs for non-medical reasons". It is recognised as a violation of the human rights of women and girls. In December 2012, the United Nations general assembly unanimously voted to work for the elimination of FGM throughout the world."
https://www.theguardian.com/society/2014/feb/06/what-is-female-genital-mutilation-where-happen
Perhaps I was thinking its not my fight and I wouldn't know how to go about it. I applaud the young women from the countries and cultures concerned who now work to educate people. And you are helping too by raising it as a topic for discussion - its made me think about it. Others as well I'm sure.
dhajjieboy
913 posts

Edited Apr 25, 2017, 18:48
Apr 25, 2017, 18:47
Unlike yourself, I have too much respect for the membership here to 'doosh-up' threads with agenda driven FOX 'news' links...
You just can't help yourself....You had to turn this grave concern into an agenda driven political correctness spin-fest about bed-wetting, liberal,'snowflakes'....
I personally don't give a fuck about what FOX news thinks.
I personally don't give a fuck about what You think.
Edit: spelling
dhajjieboy
913 posts

Apr 25, 2017, 18:51
tjj:

"Perhaps I was thinking its not my fight and I wouldn't know how to go about it. I applaud the young women from the countries and cultures concerned who now work to educate people. And you are helping too by raising it as a topic for discussion - its made me think about it. Others as well I'm sure."

Dhajj:

Thanks.....
and I do understand your frustration about being able to do anything about this too.
But knowing it's going on is a start.
Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index