9 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
riverman
riverman
845 posts

Re: We never really 'cared that much'
Apr 21, 2017, 20:45
sanshee wrote:
I don't know if we would have found another reason to go to war anyway.
We have researchers over here from every corner of the planet.

EDIT: For sure, there will be a different funding model.
I just can't envisage scientists seeking not to work together anymore.
It makes no sense.

I am a university lecturer who did 6 years of postdoc research in Madrid on projects funded by the EC. It is true scientists from outside the EC could work on EC funded projects - but as far as I'm aware they couldn't lead projects and didn't have the same advantages (why should they?). They could be research partners effectively. Since the referendum UK based researchers have reported being dropped from initial project discussions - it can take years to put a proposal together and due to the uncertainty of what will happen UK based researchers are being dropped.
We have hundreds of EC nationals in UK academia who face uncertainty - it's almost certain that some will leave if they have the opportunity, because of the uncertainty.
Applications from EC (and other overseas students I believe) are down on last year so the university sector will have less income.
Our current project budgets have been squeezed by the devalued pound - a PhD student of mine may not be able to travel for his second fieldwork season - or rather I will have to pay some of my own money to help him out.
In short there isn't a chance in hell that Brexit will not negatively affect UK universities - how we quantify it will be tricky because we are being attacked from all sides (increased privatisation, possible 2 year degrees) etc.

U-Know! Forum Index