Another Election

Pages: 37 – [ Previous | 16 7 8 9 10 11 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Jeez
98 posts

Re: Another Election
Apr 21, 2017, 16:48
Calm down dear!

The TV debates didn't do Nick Clegg any harm in 2010 did they? He may have lied through his arse but it worked for him. I'd rather see the politicians front up than have their stooges spoonfeed the public daily doses of brainwash. I think Corbyn would do well in a live debate and increase his support - that's what May is scared of - she wants a massive majority to twist the knife on the general public.

Every time I hear a radio phone-in or vox pops on the news there are people saying they voted to remain in the UK before and now they want out because of the relentless Tory govts. I am saying that they're right and I know that us Labour supporting English are going to be screwed without the Scots, but that's democracy. We'll have to figure something out because if May gets in again I can't see any other future.

I agree - us English are stuck with nationalistic Tory voters and the Scots have their SNP voters. If the Scots aren't going to vote for the Tories or Labour they might as well be independant - if they're voting SNP for left wing politics then I don't get why they can't vote for Corbyn - therefore it must be for nationalistic reasons - I mean what's the idea in wanting to be part of a union but voting for a totally different government? It's a contradiction.
sanshee
sanshee
1080 posts

Edited Apr 21, 2017, 17:18
Apr 21, 2017, 17:06
Jeez wrote:

Calm down dear!

The TV debates didn't do Nick Clegg any harm in 2010 did they? He may have lied through his arse but it worked for him. I'd rather see the politicians front up than have their stooges spoonfeed the public daily doses of brainwash. I think Corbyn would do well in a live debate and increase his support - that's what May is scared of - she wants a massive majority to twist the knife on the general public.

Every time I hear a radio phone-in or vox pops on the news there are people saying they voted to remain in the UK before and now they want out because of the relentless Tory govts. I am saying that they're right and I know that us Labour supporting English are going to be screwed without the Scots, but that's democracy. We'll have to figure something out because if May gets in again I can't see any other future.

I agree - us English are stuck with nationalistic Tory voters and the Scots have their SNP voters. If the Scots aren't going to vote for the Tories or Labour they might as well be independant - if they're voting SNP for left wing politics then I don't get why they can't vote for Corbyn - therefore it must be for nationalistic reasons - I mean what's the idea in wanting to be part of a union but voting for a totally different government? It's a contradiction.

Radio phone ins and vox pops don't mean diddly squat.
I'm calm, honestly, just exasperated by the utter ignorance of the situation up here.
Opinion polls and plain old punters on the street matter.
I live here, I know what I see, what I hear, we've all had enough.
Clegg, oh aye, lost his party about 60 seats, way to go power of the TV debate!
You see a fleeting moment in the sun as some kind of success?
Ok then. Whatever.
Brexit will fix the UK again, sort out all this nationalist crap once and for all, I am sure of it.
Please look at the post regards UK voting in the EU, never even got to 40%, once didn't even reach 25%.
And Scotland specific data just as (ahem) enthusiastic.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scotland_(European_Parliament_constituency)

EDIT: BTW SNP got in Holyrood on 25% of the electorate, on a 55% turn out.
More votes against them than for, but the vote is split.
They are not 'left wing'.
Don't be fooled.
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6209 posts

Apr 21, 2017, 18:10
You have fallen for it. Your post is all about the EU vote (and yearning for some mythical Albion that never existed - we have pounds, miles and pints now, despite 40 years of being in the EU). My post is not about the EU or Brexit.

This election is nothing to do with that. May sees the opportunity to increase her majority to force through real Tory policies. Parliament hasn't stopped Brexit, on the contrary all parties supported the vote to trigger article 50. This is a convenient lie.
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6209 posts

Edited Apr 21, 2017, 18:19
Apr 21, 2017, 18:18
sanshee wrote:
Scotland's economy is tanking compared the that of the rest of the UK, has been since before the Brexit vote.
We've had SNP for 10 years now.
Wonder if there's a connection.

There's the rub though. On paper the UK economy might not be "tanking" but the reality for most people in England and Wales is very different. Food banks, child poverty, a deliberately screwed health service, overcrowded schools, zero hours contracts, scapegoating of non-white people (no, not just immigrants), terrible drugs and homelessness problems, stagnant wages, housing shortages. The English and Welsh economy is not tanking but it is certainly screwed. The rich get richer down here, everyone else certainly does not.
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6209 posts

Apr 21, 2017, 18:37
sanshee wrote:

Brexit will fix the UK again, sort out all this nationalist crap once and for all, I am sure of it.

For Brexit to "fix the UK", being in the EU would have to be the reason it is broken in the first place.

I hadn't realised it was the EU that sold all the council houses, destroyed all the industry in this country, crashed the banks and screwed the economy.
sanshee
sanshee
1080 posts

Apr 21, 2017, 19:04
Not exactly what I meant.
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6209 posts

Apr 21, 2017, 19:33
So how did you mean Brexit will fix the UK? Nationalism flowers when people feel like they've been shat upon and need to find someone to blame, immigrants, the EU, etc, etc are convenient scapegoats.

In my view all leaving the EU will do is make everyone poorer than they already are, with one less scapegoat to take the blame.
sanshee
sanshee
1080 posts

Apr 21, 2017, 19:43
I mean fix the UK's relationship with itself. Internal stuff.
I recall opinion polls overwhelmingly in favour of ensuring the rights of EU citizens, straight after the EU vote.
Also, UKIP don't even have the one measly MP now.
Great!
There are not 17m racists in the UK, that's almost the inference.
Unfair.
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6209 posts

Apr 21, 2017, 19:53
sanshee wrote:
I mean fix the UK's relationship with itself. Internal stuff.
I recall opinion polls overwhelmingly in favour of ensuring the rights of EU citizens, straight after the EU vote.
Also, UKIP don't even have the one measly MP now.
Great!
There are not 17m racists in the UK, that's almost the inference.
Unfair.

No, that's quite true and I've certainly never thought that - one of the frustrations over the whole thing is that the reasons for voting leave were so varied that it's impossible to know what leavers as a whole were voting for. People blame the EU for loads of things and the majority of them aren't true (particularly the idea that the EU stops our Parliament acting as it sees fit). And whether they find the sunlit uplands they were expecting at the end of it all still remains very much to be seen.

But there are 50+ million people being screwed over by the Tories and leaving the EU sure isn't going to fix that, neither will Labour giving them a free ride. The "internal stuff" as you put it will get worse, and if some people don't get the unicorn they thought they were getting when they voted to leave, it will be a lot worse. But the EU won't be there to blame, so who do they turn on next? Ethnic minorities would be a pretty good first target. Or maybe the "saboteurs" who voted remain. We'll see.
sanshee
sanshee
1080 posts

Apr 21, 2017, 20:06
I don't expect anything special as a result, I'm not sure who does.
If they do they may be pissed off, but I doubt they'll carry it somewhere darker.
Something about the expansionism of the EU, the remoteness, the false notion of 'citizenship'.
I do not have a passport, I am not an EU citizen. I have no EU rights.
Should I stop being stupid and get one? What if I can't afford it?
And where to begin with the EU parliament?
A parliament with no opposition?
What is that?
Set up just to do a reverse filibuster, grind any dissent into submission.
Now in the grand scheme of things, how does that really interfere with my life?
Not much maybe, but it's always considered noble to vote with your conscience.
I do believe 17m of us did.
Is that wrong?
Pages: 37 – [ Previous | 16 7 8 9 10 11 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index