Another Election

Pages: 37 – [ Previous | 112 13 14 15 16 17 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
nigelswift
8112 posts

Edited Apr 29, 2017, 10:29
Re: Hayle is a town in Cornwall
Apr 29, 2017, 10:09
I fully explained my views on Roy's behaviour in my last two posts so have no need to add anything else or to defend myself for thinking what I or others do.

All the best,
Nige

(As for "Littlestone curdles every pore in your bodies. Why?" .... you don't REALLY want to drag that up do you? Thought not.)
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Edited Apr 29, 2017, 11:04
Re: Another Election
Apr 29, 2017, 10:38
Hi John

John Rice wrote:
"what exactly are the benefits of belonging to the EU?"

Well, as an EU citizen you have the right to live and work in any one of 28 (now 27) nations and still retain all of the same rights as you would in your home country. To me -- as someone who has lived and worked in 5 EU nations -- that's a *massive* benefit.

I may be doing you a disservice, but I suspect you actually meant "what are the benefits to me personally?"

I heard a young lady (20s?) on the radio recently saying she voted Remain because, by leaving the EU, she thought it would cost her more to use her mobile phone while roaming there. :-) Now that’s obviously a disadvantage for her (having to pay more in mobile phone charges) but hardly a good enough reason to vote Remain. As an EU citizen we do indeed, “...have the right to live and work in any one of 28 (now 27) nations and still retain all of the same rights as you would in your home country.” With that, of course, comes the right of any EU citizen to have the same rights here in the UK. We have to ask ourselves if the trade off is a good one. For you of course it obviously is, but for the majority of people in the UK? I doubt it. For UK citizens who just take vacations on the continent, perhaps have second homes there, or just visit occasionally for sports events etc, they probably hardly give the rights issue a second thought.

You know, I can remember a time (1973) before the UK joined the European Economic Community, when freedom of movement across most of Europe was a given and all that you needed was your passport. Of course we didn’t have the rights you mention but most people didn’t need them... and still don’t. We certainly didn’t need a visa and the idea put out by some that we might need a visa after Brexit is blatant scaremongering. Unlike you I haven’t worked in Europe but I did study and work abroad for some seventeen years and all I ever needed was a student or work visa. I had the same health, travel, ownership benefits abroad as here in the UK and could have voted if I had wanted to.

We don’t have to become a citizen of a political/trading block like the EU to enjoy the rights of the EU country we choose to live in (and the majority of us live in just one country). That is demonstrably so when we see the many people living and working in the UK of non-European origin. :-)
veneta1
223 posts

Apr 29, 2017, 11:18
'I heard a young lady (20s?) on the radio recently saying she voted Remain because, by leaving the EU, she thought it would cost her more to use her mobile phone while roaming there. :-) Now that’s obviously a disadvantage for her (having to pay more in mobile phone charges) but hardly a good enough reason to vote Remain.'

Yeah, pity she couldn't have come up with a more important and well thought out reason, similar to the Leavers desire for a curvy banana.
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Edited Apr 29, 2017, 23:15
Re: Hate is a cul-de-sac
Apr 29, 2017, 18:16
What sanctimonious rubbish. I don't hate anyone but that doesn't mean I won't comment on right-leaning views posing as 'wisdom' when posted on a political forum - if I don't agree with what has been said. Flounce away if you want to.
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6210 posts

Apr 29, 2017, 18:35
I found this piece by a traditional Welsh (previously) Conservative voter interesting.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/news-opinion/once-loyal-conservative-writes-disillusionment-12954216.amp
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Apr 30, 2017, 00:43
moss wrote:
nigelswift wrote:
What a monumental fecking neck to accuse us of
"knowing that I won't come back at you. You know, the cowards way!"....
.... when you've spent the last few years over on the Copycat Journal attacking me personally in the nastiest way imaginable for all you are worth!!
Be gone with you, you vexatious person.

All the best,
Nige

Being hateful, just some of the words you can use;

abominable, execrable, abhorrent, repugnant; invidious, loathsome. Hateful, obnoxious, odious, offensive refer to something that causes strong dislike or annoyance. Hateful implies actually causing hatred or extremely strong dislike:

It seems to me, and this is addressed to Nigel and tjj, that your hate for Sanctuary and Littlestone curdles every pore in your bodies. Why? Why can’t you express your own views without making offensive remarks. Surely the point of a debate is the argument without the personal. There were two little girls on a radio programme yesterday, and one said you should respect the person you are arguing with. She went on to say ‘I may like pizza with marshmallows on top, you on the other hand like chocolate cake, which I accept and respect’. Simplistic maybe, but just because someone doesn’t agree with you doesn’t mean you have to verbally attack them.
You note that I do not include the TSC in this, I think he has a strong line of pure belief that runs through his soul, he has the need to understand.

And before you start on me, (here it comes peeps ???? I shall FLOUNCE) pushing someone’s (i.e. Sanctuary) buttons always triggers a response and it gets incredibly boring. And tjj take it from me you are never going to wind up Littlestone to respond to you, so please move on..

Moss, with not much love! X

I read your post on a train earlier this evening on my way back from a day out looking at wild orchids. I replied briefly basically because the train was held up and I had nothing better to do. Have since re-read it and have to remind you (although no-one here will give a 'feck') that it was Littlestone who, some years back, was the ring leader in trying to get everyone to ostracize me on the TMA forum - after he was unsuccessful in getting me banned. You were careful to exclude Thesweetcheat from your egregious accusation perhaps because he was around then as well and didn't get drawn into that unkind behaviour. I don't use your word 'hate' and you don't need to give me a dictionary definition of it - I'm not illiterate.

I'm surprised and somewhat disappointed Moss as I have mostly been courteous to you and recall speaking up for you on TMA when you were unfairly 'attacked' on a blog by someone named Paul Barford. As I said in my previous brief response, feel free to flounce if you wish but as with Sanctuary -no one is making you.
moss
moss
2897 posts

Apr 30, 2017, 08:33
tjj wrote:
moss wrote:
[quote="nigelswift"]What a monumental fecking neck to accuse us of
"knowing that I won't come back at you. You know, the cowards way!"....
.... when you've spent the last few years over on the Copycat Journal attacking me personally in the nastiest way imaginable for all you are worth!!
Be gone with you, you vexatious person.

All the best,
Nige

I read your post on a train earlier this evening on my way back from a day out looking at wild orchids. I replied briefly basically because the train was held up and I had nothing better to do. Have since re-read it and have to remind you (although no-one here will give a 'feck') that it was Littlestone who, some years back, was the ring leader in trying to get everyone to ostracize me on the TMA forum - after he was unsuccessful in getting me banned. You were careful to exclude Thesweetcheat from your egregious accusation perhaps because he was around then as well and didn't get drawn into that unkind behaviour. I don't use your word 'hate' and you don't need to give me a dictionary definition of it - I'm not illiterate.

I'm surprised and somewhat disappointed Moss as I have mostly been courteous to you and recall speaking up for you on TMA when you were unfairly 'attacked' on a blog by someone named Paul Barford. As I said in my previous brief response, feel free to flounce if you wish but as with Sanctuary -no one is making you.

Basically what I said still holds, and Swift’s reply proves my point! I find that the act of bearing grudges is fruitless. I am always going to stand up for my partner, friends and family, insidious snipes really get my goat…. As for Barford, that misogynist evil-tongued coward lurking in Poland out of the way of a good solicitor forgotten about him, kind of you to remind me.
Well as I have really nothing to say to Swift, he can huff and puff never been scared of him but have a few handy few Irish curses on my blog, this one quite gentle – a chrebair chuilig. ;)
nigelswift
8112 posts

Edited Apr 30, 2017, 09:32
Re: Hake is a delicious dish
Apr 30, 2017, 09:27
moss wrote:
I find that the act of bearing grudges is fruitless. I am always going to stand up for my partner

Well you certainly didn't support him when he suddenly locked us all out of Heritage Action, announced that HE was now in sole charge of the organisation and invited us all to re-apply for entry to the new organisation under HIS new rules and sole leadership - and that's certainly something that everyone in HA holds a grudge about and always will. Well, not so much as a grudge, more a continued appalled awareness. Calling me "a flea-ridden woodcock" doesn't change that. I suggested you stop now or I won't.

Best wishes,
Nige
drewbhoy
drewbhoy
2554 posts

Apr 30, 2017, 10:01
Littlestone wrote:
[quote="thesweetcheat"]

To drewbhoy; I fully support Scottish independence. Ditto independence for Wales if they want it and the unification of Ireland. In my 70 years plus on this planet I’ve seen too many cultures assimilated by their big brother neighbours. And before I was born even more so. Indigenous peoples supressed, sometimes totally obliterated. Languages lost, cultures wiped away. The erosion sometimes takes place in a matter of a few years, sometimes it’s inch-by-inch over decades (Hawaii and Tibet to name just two) and all in the name of a ‘useful’ uniformity.

I've always supported independence for Tibet and Hawaii (people who support independence in Scotland have always looked out for the Pacific countries).
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Apr 30, 2017, 19:38
Oh! There is another way to cut the pension bill. NHS doctor Yannis Gourtsoyannis writes in the Guardian ...

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/apr/27/doctor-nhs-vote-labour-austerity-conservatives?CMP=fb_gu

"I cannot put it more bluntly: as a doctor I consider it my public duty to urge votes against the Tories, and votes for Labour. And I’m not alone. Hundreds of NHS workers shared their fears of a Conservative election victory on social media under the hashtag #mypublicduty yesterday. The reason is simple. The last seven years of austerity have been built on the graves of tens of thousands of people.
Only a few months ago the Red Cross took the unprecedented step of announcing that the NHS was in the midst of a “humanitarian crisis”. The Red Cross is right. And that crisis continues. In the fifth richest country in the world people are dying needlessly.
A slow, grinding structural violence has pervaded this country – and bearing the brunt are the most vulnerable. Mental health patients, unable to care for themselves, are dying in their homes, denied access to dangerously rationed mental health services. Some are discovered, having died alone, days or even weeks after their deaths.
Migrants are increasingly hassled for payment as they recover from NHS emergency care. Elderly patients are dying suddenly and unexpectedly on understaffed medical wards. Disabled benefit recipients are forced to justify their inability to work during their last few months of life. Ambulance services are increasingly overstretched, causing unacceptable delays in reaching people in need. And suicide rates continue their upwards trend, especially among my female nursing colleagues.
The death toll is rising. We have seen the biggest annual rise in overall death rates in 50 years. Research carried out at Oxford University shows that trends over the past four years may soon result in the highest death rates since the second world war."
Pages: 37 – [ Previous | 112 13 14 15 16 17 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index