Irony

Pages: 5 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Locodogz
Locodogz
254 posts

Re: Irony
Mar 22, 2017, 09:52
Wow - does that mean Scotland has as many pandas as suspended SNP MPs?

Oh - and as many as there are G's in Glasgow.

Loving the panda work HD....
drewbhoy
drewbhoy
2553 posts

Mar 22, 2017, 13:46
Howburn Digger wrote:
nigelswift wrote:
sanshee wrote:
People up here vote SNP not for the 'dream of independence' but the free prescriptions, the oldies for the free Scotland wide bus travel, maybe even the free tuition.

But will Scotland in a post-Brexit UK be able to afford any of those?

Post-Brexit? The EU doesn't pay for free bus travel for pensioners in Scotland. The EU doesn't pay for free prescriptions in Scotland. The EU doesn't pay for free tuition in Scotland. In Scotland, Holyrood prioritises those very policies which MSP's stood for in their manifestos and people voted for. They are nothing to do with the England's priorities (or lack of them) or the EU. Even Wales and Northern Ireland opted for the Free Prescription no-brainer.

It is cheaper to issue free prescriptions than to charge and have to manage a system of low-pay/ benefit entitlement refunds and reductions in charges. When everyone gets their prescription free, people just get healthier quicker, or get the pain relief they need without having to choose between pain relief and heating. The Scottish People decided that it was better to get pensioners out and about than have them sitting in their homes getting older while empty buses collected subsidies on those routes anyway.

It is that simple.

I don't support the SNP, but the one about the SNP being scared of Labour is one of the funniest jokes ever. Scared of the Torylite, dearie me :-)
drewbhoy
drewbhoy
2553 posts

Mar 22, 2017, 13:50
thesweetcheat wrote:
Howburn Digger wrote:
nigelswift wrote:
Sorry, when I said "If it came to a straight choice between England leaving Scotland and England leaving Europe I'd vote for leaving Scotland" I wasn't trying to make a point of constitutional law I was saying that for me personally being a European citizen is far more important than being a United Kingdom citizen, nothing more.

Well, as J P Donleavy once said "Wherever you are, there you go."

Funny, but the people of Scotland seem to be looking to exit the UK and find some way of continuing links with the EU in some form or other. The Europy will still want our Whisky, Beer, Barley, Carrots and Salmon.

But maybe England should consider leaving Great Britain and revoking the Treaty of Union they signed in 1706. Some Independence might clarify things a little for them.

I think it's a terrible shame that during 13 years or whatever of Labour in Govt they failed to put the two countries back on a equal footing as partners in a union. Devolution was not anywhere near enough.

By the time of Indyref1 I believe (though you may not agree) that Salmond would have accepted "Devo Max" but the Tories would not countenance it and Labour colluded with that. It's no great surprise that Labour was rejected by Scotland, unlike pandas.

Correct, though a lot us disagreed with Devo Max.
Pages: 5 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index