Pages: 5 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
nigelswift
8112 posts

Edited Mar 17, 2017, 12:18
Irony
Mar 17, 2017, 11:48
May, today:
"The SNP is trying to force the UK Government to agree to something that is fundamentally unfair to the Scottish people. It wants to ask them to make a crucial decision without the necessary information.

"They would not know what the new partnership with the EU would look like, or what the alternative of an independent Scotland would be.

"It would simply not be fair."

Whereas the Brexit vote and triggering Article 50 are all on the basis that the necessary information is to hand and everyone knows "what the new partnership with the EU would look like".
sanshee
sanshee
1080 posts

Re: Irony
Mar 17, 2017, 14:08
Nigel, why pile uncertainty on top of uncertainty?
I mean, why?
For what reason?
nigelswift
8112 posts

Mar 17, 2017, 14:36
I actually don't know what you're asking.

My simple point is that the Brexit vote was based on zero understanding of what we were voting for and now May is saying there shouldn't be a Scottish vote as people won't know what they're voting for. How can that not be nonsense? If the UK can be trusted to take a leap in the dark then so can Scotland.
sanshee
sanshee
1080 posts

Mar 17, 2017, 14:38
For Scotland, two leaps in the dark.
Selfish when you would only have 'the one' to deal with, no?
Howburn Digger
Howburn Digger
986 posts

Mar 17, 2017, 19:48
sanshee wrote:
Nigel, why pile uncertainty on top of uncertainty?
I mean, why?
For what reason?

The only certain thing is uncertainty! Can you imagine the economic devastation in some elastic-band-manufacturing-towns in China when the current pre-teen obsession with Loombands goes belly-up like clackers, beany babies and weebles did in years before?

How we dream of yesterday. We didn't know what we had.
Today was tomorrow once. We didn't know what was coming.
No-one knows what tomorrow will bring. It is unknowable.

Countries making their own decisions - without the group-think, ecomomic-clusterfuckery of a banker-run EU? How will anyone manage? Someone outside my country who works for an International Banking Corporation please give me predictability and manage my life please, because I can trust you!

"Tomorrow, and tomorrow, and tomorrow,
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day,
To the last syllable of recorded time;
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player,
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,
And then is heard no more..."
sanshee
sanshee
1080 posts

Mar 18, 2017, 08:27
I have mouths to feed, it was the 'I have mouths to feed' vote that swung it the last time probably.
Captain Starlet
Captain Starlet
1110 posts

Mar 18, 2017, 09:05
Makes me 'laugh' that may considers a second Scottish ref "divisive" yet careering on ahead with the most divisive policy this country has seen for decades!

Corbyn's cringeworthy mention that there's 'no appetite' for another ref in Scotland is just ridiculous

And as for uncertainty about the future of the UK and undermining brexit? Has anyone actually thought that that may actually be the point of declaring a second ref?
sanshee
sanshee
1080 posts

Mar 18, 2017, 09:12
Again, I live here, you do not, there is no appetite, no matter how many flags you see on the telly news.
We have had enough of being treated like little lab rats, from all directions.
nigelswift
8112 posts

Mar 18, 2017, 12:27
Please clarify, no appetite for which?
sanshee
sanshee
1080 posts

Mar 18, 2017, 13:30
What don't we want?
Another independence referendum.
Some numbers:
2.1m voted no to leaving the UK.
1.6m voted no to leaving the EU.
So for Scotland, the UK vote trumps, in numbers, the EU vote by about half a million.
Also, turnout for 2014 ref vote was 85%, EU vote about the mid 60's.
And yes, we do see loads of flags in 'George Square' but the turnout in Glasgow to vote any way at all regards Europe was 56%
SNP have thieved the reasons people up here voted, and they will pay the price for it.
Pages: 5 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index