Howburn Digger
986 posts

Re: Damn it.
Mar 14, 2017, 17:38
sanshee wrote:
'Flags' are back in George Square.
Glasgow is such a great city too.
:(

They wave flags in George Square for anything.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-36516569

I remember waving a massive CND flag there in 1982.

I think recently in George Square they raised flags of Germany as well as the Union Jack to celebrate the dead of "both sides" in WW1. It was in the interest of "balance" and International Peace apparently. Lordy.

Flags - they remind me a bit of football strips. I don't really like football. I never have.
Vybik Jon
Vybik Jon
7717 posts

Mar 14, 2017, 18:06
Howburn Digger wrote:
sanshee wrote:
'Flags' are back in George Square.
Glasgow is such a great city too.
:(

They wave flags in George Square for anything.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-36516569

I remember waving a massive CND flag there in 1982.

I think recently in George Square they raised flags of Germany as well as the Union Jack to celebrate the dead of "both sides" in WW1. It was in the interest of "balance" and International Peace apparently. Lordy.

Flags - they remind me a bit of football strips. I don't really like football. I never have.

I sometimes think you don't like much at all.

Not the worst position to have, as it's hard to be disappointed. But a little dispiriting I'd have thought.
Howburn Digger
Howburn Digger
986 posts

Mar 14, 2017, 18:52
Vybik Jon wrote:

I sometimes think you don't like much at all.[/quote]

:-)

Not at all, but there are a few things which I find I cannot wholeheartedly support for completely understandable reasons.

Sanshee had indicated an air of disappointment with flags now flying again in George Square.

I simply pointed out that some people have waved flags in George Square to raise awareness of Nuclear Disarmament. Some wave them there to show support for gay people shot in a club in Florida. Recently German and Union Flags were waved together to celebrate the fallen in WW1. It happens. There will be Union Flags and there will be Saltires too. And mibbe the odd Lion Rampant.

Dont let it disappoint you either Vybik Jon.

I just never "got" football.
Captain Starlet
Captain Starlet
1110 posts

Mar 14, 2017, 19:56
Not sure you'll remember but I wanted Scotland to vote no last time. This time I wholly support Scotland going it's own way. I live in Wales and I see Scotland's determination as inspiration for what Wales should be. Scotland leaving the UK doesn't mean the end of Scotland but an opportunity to join Ireland and Wales in a new union (my dream anyway)
sanshee
sanshee
1080 posts

Mar 14, 2017, 23:13
It divided us sorely up here and sorry but unless you were in the middle of it you are not qualified to talk.
Theorize away though, it's a free country.
sanshee
sanshee
1080 posts

Mar 14, 2017, 23:21
Ironically the 'union flags' only really emerged afterwards and it was an ugly crowd of 'Rangers fans'.
Others waved their Catalan flags, in support of the other side, Celtic coming into it too.
So sort of conflating it all with football.
Thank Jesus most women up here have no time for any of that bullshit.
thispoison
thispoison
253 posts

Edited Mar 15, 2017, 01:32
Mar 15, 2017, 01:30
sanshee wrote:
It divided us sorely up here and sorry but unless you were in the middle of it you are not qualified to talk.

IndyRef#1 was a great time to live in Scotland. It woke up and politicised a mass of people who had never really cared to exercise their vote before. On both sides.

It destroyed a Scottish Labour who had utterly failed the people of Scotland since the dawn of the Thatcher-era. And drove the contemptible Scottish Conservatives to become the "No Surrender" party in a failed attempt to "Ulster-ise" Scotland. Bigotry proving to be the real last refuge of the Scoundrel. And it showed up the BBC and entire British media for the lying sacks of shit they actually are.

It did leave some unfinished business though, which will be concluded with a positive vote for Independence in around eighteen months.

Let the crazy good times re-commence. I really hope no-one has their feelings hurt this time!

....And finally; Glory Glory To The Hibees!
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6210 posts

Mar 15, 2017, 06:43
sanshee wrote:

I think those of us living in England and Wales who were part of the 48% who have spent the last 9 months being told to shut up have pretty good experience of a divided country. I'm with Capt. S and I think that if you have the opportunity to break away from the poison of Westminster and the arrogance of Little England you should grasp it with both hands. Just don't pull up the drawbridge afterwards as my country is intent on doing.
drewbhoy
drewbhoy
2554 posts

Edited Mar 15, 2017, 09:05
Mar 15, 2017, 09:04
thesweetcheat wrote:
sanshee wrote:

I think those of us living in England and Wales who were part of the 48% who have spent the last 9 months being told to shut up have pretty good experience of a divided country. I'm with Capt. S and I think that if you have the opportunity to break away from the poison of Westminster and the arrogance of Little England you should grasp it with both hands. Just don't pull up the drawbridge afterwards as my country is intent on doing.

There was no division as such here certainly none witnessed by any of my friends who come from different parts of these isles. Most of my relatives stay in Glasgow and the only intimidation they saw was gangs of pro Union thugs at polling stations. Good debate was had and that is surely a good thing. The only division shown was the Vote No allies the Orange Order marching up and down in there thousands in Edinburgh, fierce scare mongering from Dugdale and Davidson, the NF campaigning along with Unionists and the attack on Vote Yes/CND supporters in George Square. Also surely there is nothing wrong with the flying of the Scottish flag, jeez it happens every day.

We were told and many believed that Scotland would stay in the EU if the electorate Voted No. That always was and has been proved to be a complete lie hence the need for a referendrum. Bring it on peacefully and everybody is most welcome :-)
Pages: 4 – [ 1 2 3 4 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index