Mar 12, 2017, 11:28
https://twitter.com/BBCNewsnight/status/840170883847090176
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Mar 13, 2017, 12:29
Re: Dawkins nails it
Mar 13, 2017, 12:00
The responses are hilarious. Well they would be if it wasn't such a cluster fuck of "known knowns, known unknowns and unknown unknowns" (never in a million years thought I would find cause to quote Rumsfeld when sober).

It's a bit like a pub argument with the bloke who bought a Rolex in the market for £50 and simply wont accept it's a fake. The more unsure they feel on the inside, the nastier their tone and more strident in support of its intrinsic unalloyed genuineness they get. And then they stop wearing it and forbid all further discussion. Often with threats of violence.
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6200 posts

Mar 13, 2017, 20:39
This is my favourite Brexit analogy to date.
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Mar 14, 2017, 14:13
Mar 14, 2017, 14:11
thesweetcheat wrote:

Ta! The only thing wrong with the analogy is that in the case of Brexit the dupe buys the watch with your money and forbids all mention of the fact.
Howburn Digger
Howburn Digger
986 posts

Edited Mar 14, 2017, 17:56
Mar 14, 2017, 17:55
IanB wrote:
thesweetcheat wrote:

Ta! The only thing wrong with the analogy is that in the case of Brexit the dupe buys the watch with your money and forbids all mention of the fact.

Yeah and then we are all told by this guy (who looks awfully like Edward Heath) that we now have to buy everyone in Europe a real Rolex watch. And then we have to buy every person in every country which wants to be in Europe a real Rolex watch too. Then they triple the price of your beer and when you get back home to your council house the Government have changed the locks and given the tenancy to a load of people wearing real Rolex Watches who came from countries that didn't even exist when you were sold the fake Rolex all those years ago.

Also I really don't like the way Dawkins used text speak to spell the word "consequences". It kinda dumbs down the debate to a "LOL" level.

And plucking the arbitrary figure of "two thirds" out of thin air. That is simply undemocratic and a pathetic use of random numbers to try and steer a debate. I went out and asked some people what they thought and 96.4 people agreed with me.
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Mar 14, 2017, 23:27
Mar 14, 2017, 23:23
On the upside I will take my final breath knowing that I have never in my life knowingly done anything guaranteed to give Michael Gove a semi ....
Howburn Digger
Howburn Digger
986 posts

Mar 28, 2017, 23:19
IanB wrote:
On the upside I will take my final breath knowing that I have never in my life knowingly done anything guaranteed to give Michael Gove a semi ....

A semi? Come on. We all saw you bend over to pick up that one pound coin. Gove had superglued it onto the pavement. The sight of you in them tight bell-bottoms drove him crazy. Semi..? You could have hung a wet duffle coat on it.
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Mar 29, 2017, 13:17
Mar 29, 2017, 13:14
Howburn Digger wrote:
IanB wrote:

A semi? Come on. We all saw you bend over to pick up that one pound coin. Gove had superglued it onto the pavement. The sight of you in them tight bell-bottoms drove him crazy. Semi..? You could have hung a wet duffle coat on it.

That's a lighting comeback - travelling all the way to the present day from the 1690s in a mere fortnight (via the 1950s and an unusually homophobic episode of "Are You Being Served?" at that).

I would hang around for the next installment but I've got to get back from the olden times to the near future and my tax free dacha somewhere in Eurasia with a nice crate of something both foreign and eye-wateringly expensive (if you are paying in groats or sterling that is). Chin chin old son.
U-Know! Forum Index