119 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Howburn Digger
Howburn Digger
986 posts

Edited Mar 10, 2017, 09:15
Re: It seems to me
Mar 10, 2017, 09:00
Here is a letter to send to your MP in response to the 2 amendment spanners thrown in the democracy works by the unelected second house. The House of Lords. Does that mean that if we don't like democracy we can petition for a second (more "meaningful") vote on "whatever". Their second or third homes in Provence must be quaking at the upcoming tax bill. Fill yer boots guys (and gals).

Dear [Insert Your MP’s Name Here],

I am writing to encourage you to vote to delete the amendments to the European Union (Notification of Withdrawal) Bill which have been adopted by the House of Lords.

The original, unamended Article 50 Bill honours the will of the Great British Public as expressed in the EU Referendum last year, and now has the force of our elected representatives behind it. As one of your constituents, I am writing to you personally, as I believe it would be an affront to democracy if the unelected House of Lords were allowed to succeed with diluting this legislation.

Neither of these amendments have any merit. I do not oppose giving EU citizens the right to remain here after Brexit, but I object to letting the EU use our expats as bargaining chips in Brexit negotiations. The Prime Minister has already reassured us this issue will be at the top of her agenda. The Government shouldn’t have to negotiate with Brussels with one hand tied behind its back.

Likewise, I do not want Parliament to be given a so-called ‘meaningful vote’ on the final deal – something which would only encourage the EU to give us a bad deal in the hope Parliament then forces us to stay in the EU, or embrace a ‘soft’ Brexit which ignores the Referendum mandate.

I’m sure you appreciate the case is clear. It’s the Lords who should have to think again – not the Commons. Please vote to delete these amendments and send the original, unamended Bill back to the Lords. I am one of the 17.4 million people across the United Kingdom who voted ‘Leave’ in the EU Referendum, and I would be grateful for your support for the Referendum result.

Yours sincerely,
[ADD YOUR NAME HERE]

Or don't bother and take whatever Merkel wants to you to accept.
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index