Pages: 12 – [ Previous | 17 8 9 10 11 12 ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Howburn Digger
Howburn Digger
986 posts

Edited Mar 10, 2017, 09:15
Re: It seems to me
Mar 10, 2017, 09:00
Here is a letter to send to your MP in response to the 2 amendment spanners thrown in the democracy works by the unelected second house. The House of Lords. Does that mean that if we don't like democracy we can petition for a second (more "meaningful") vote on "whatever". Their second or third homes in Provence must be quaking at the upcoming tax bill. Fill yer boots guys (and gals).

Dear [Insert Your MP’s Name Here],

I am writing to encourage you to vote to delete the amendments to the European Union (Notification of Withdrawal) Bill which have been adopted by the House of Lords.

The original, unamended Article 50 Bill honours the will of the Great British Public as expressed in the EU Referendum last year, and now has the force of our elected representatives behind it. As one of your constituents, I am writing to you personally, as I believe it would be an affront to democracy if the unelected House of Lords were allowed to succeed with diluting this legislation.

Neither of these amendments have any merit. I do not oppose giving EU citizens the right to remain here after Brexit, but I object to letting the EU use our expats as bargaining chips in Brexit negotiations. The Prime Minister has already reassured us this issue will be at the top of her agenda. The Government shouldn’t have to negotiate with Brussels with one hand tied behind its back.

Likewise, I do not want Parliament to be given a so-called ‘meaningful vote’ on the final deal – something which would only encourage the EU to give us a bad deal in the hope Parliament then forces us to stay in the EU, or embrace a ‘soft’ Brexit which ignores the Referendum mandate.

I’m sure you appreciate the case is clear. It’s the Lords who should have to think again – not the Commons. Please vote to delete these amendments and send the original, unamended Bill back to the Lords. I am one of the 17.4 million people across the United Kingdom who voted ‘Leave’ in the EU Referendum, and I would be grateful for your support for the Referendum result.

Yours sincerely,
[ADD YOUR NAME HERE]

Or don't bother and take whatever Merkel wants to you to accept.
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6209 posts

Mar 10, 2017, 09:41
No thanks.
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6209 posts

Mar 10, 2017, 09:46
Just to clarify. There is no reason for the UK not to guarantee the position of legal EU migrants now. This is the right thing to do - you seem to be concerned that the EU will use "expats" as bargaining chips but have no similar compunction about doing exactly the same to EU citizens here. By not clarifying this now, you are essentially saying you want this to be negotiated, making both sets of people bargaining chips.

As for the other, why do you say the referendum gave a mandate only for a hard Brexit? The terms weren't voted on.
Rhiannon
5290 posts

Mar 10, 2017, 13:58
You are wasting your breath you know.

I just read this which puts brexiters in the shade
https://www.theguardian.com/global/2017/mar/10/internet-warriors-inside-dark-world-of-online-trolls-kyrre-lien
It highlights how very silly people can be. Eg the man who hates immigration but is married to a woman from Thailand. And the Russian woman who says gay people have spoilt rainbows for her.
drewbhoy
drewbhoy
2553 posts

Mar 10, 2017, 14:19
Captain Starlet
Captain Starlet
1110 posts

Mar 10, 2017, 20:28
No thanks I'll keep my dignity any take my EU Citizenship whilst understanding how democracy actually works not how some people want it to work!
Howburn Digger
Howburn Digger
986 posts

Re: something else to sign
Mar 11, 2017, 10:50
phallus dei wrote:
dhajjieboy wrote:
Faultless,self acknowledging,anarchist reasoning.
Yep, i'm on board.

For the sake of clarity, I'm not an anarchist, but a Marxist-Leninist.

For the sake of clarity, I am a three-peas-in-the-pod, lapsed congregational scottish presbyterian Gallowayist. I say what I see.

And I once met Kurt Vonnegut, but not for long.
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6209 posts

SCINI (Scotland, Ireland and Northern Ireland)
Mar 12, 2017, 17:50
Interesting piece in the Irish Times about the consensual nature of the Union and what effect Brexit might have/has had on that consensus.

http://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/fintan-o-toole-three-state-union-may-be-answer-to-brexit-1.2734041#.WLx0Ra-hg8c.facebook
Locodogz
Locodogz
254 posts

Mar 13, 2017, 12:12
"or embrace a ‘soft’ Brexit which ignores the Referendum mandate."

How strange - my referendum slip only asked me if I wanted in or out - nothing at all about a hard or soft Brexit option. Maybe a misprint?
Pages: 12 – [ Previous | 17 8 9 10 11 12 ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index