Week 1 in the White House

Pages: 3 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Mantid
100 posts

Re: Week 1 in the White House
Jan 28, 2017, 15:54
Rhiannon wrote:
"Donald also tossed the ObamaCare horseshit. Good. It benefitted no-one but the Mega-Healthcare-Industry and Insurance Corporations who take govt and individuals money then find endless loopholes to NOT provide."

I was under the impression it was benefitting poor people who wouldn't otherwise be able to afford treatment if they got ill?

Obamacare has been an ENORMOUS boon to America's 99%, I can name over a dozen families that would have been uninsured without it. A perplexing number of its opponents are actually on it, under the official name "ACA" without realizing it. ACA is still fucked up, but far superior to the previous scenario which left the most vulnerable citizens essentially without any kind of healthcare unless they were interested in literal bankruptcy as a pricepoint.

Yep, America is deeply, deeply fucked, many of our residents are tragically under-educated and have painfully little knowledge of the outside world (and education funds are being slashed left and right, go figure), intellectualism that has taken thousands of years to build up is being disregarded, media manipulation is on a mind-bending atrocious march, and our government, horrifically flawed as it already was, is now occupied by textbook fascists. You can probably make any criticism you'd like of America and be correct, but do please know that that average buffoon you are seeing in your visions, while accurate, is not the complete picture. There are a whole lot of forward-thinking motherfuckers here, too, and we're pissed as hell, and we're going to go down fighting.
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Jan 28, 2017, 17:09
The one that goes if Trump gives up the job goes to VP Pence, then if something happened to him it would be Ryan and if anything happened to him another equally vile rightwinger.
So idea that something positive would come from something untoward happening to Trump would just lead to an improvement is misguided.
People have bet on Ryan being in by July.
phallus dei
583 posts

Edited Jan 28, 2017, 17:11
Jan 28, 2017, 17:10
[/quote]

Obamacare has been an ENORMOUS boon to America's 99%, I can name over a dozen families that would have been uninsured without it. A perplexing number of its opponents are actually on it, under the official name "ACA" without realizing it. ACA is still fucked up, but far superior to the previous scenario which left the most vulnerable citizens essentially without any kind of healthcare unless they were interested in literal bankruptcy as a pricepoint.

[/quote]

Considering the amount of people deeply opposed to "Obamacare," it's clearly a stretch to call it an "ENORMOUS boon to America's 99%." My own experience with it (as someone who fluctuates between middle-class and lower middle class) has been quite cumbersome. It mostly strikes me as yet another way to milk the system, wasting my time and money on unnecessary tests, regulating which doctors I see (and in what order I see them), and charging higher & higher premiums. A lot of people who support Obamacare are actually people who get their insurance through their jobs, and thus don't have to deal with the system's many hassles. They also wrongly assume that Obamacare offers the same quality of insurance as what they get. Certainly, Obamacare has benefited some people in need, but not 99% of the American population. Hopefully, Trump's administration will come up with a healthcare system that works for the majority of Americans.
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6200 posts

Jan 28, 2017, 17:19
Howburn Digger wrote:
The lancing of the putrid boil of the US Corporation led ram-raid on UK public assetts which was TPP is to be highly commended. Well done Donald.

He won't need to do any ram raiding. Good old Theresa will be giving access to the NHS to him on a plate.
Rhiannon
5290 posts

Jan 28, 2017, 22:56
Mantid you have my fullest sympathy.

And when you say your country "is deeply, deeply fucked, many of our residents are tragically under-educated and have painfully little knowledge of the outside world (and education funds are being slashed left and right, go figure), intellectualism that has taken thousands of years to build up is being disregarded, media manipulation is on a mind-bending atrocious march, and our government, horrifically flawed as it already was, is now occupied by textbook fascists" well quite frankly you could be talking about the UK right now. we both seem to be going to hell in a handbasket.

keep on resisting
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6200 posts

Jan 28, 2017, 23:13
Quite. There's currently a large protest against the Muslim ban going on at JFK airport, so there is a resistance.
Markoid
Markoid
1621 posts

Edited Jan 29, 2017, 01:16
Jan 29, 2017, 00:31
Rite! What can we do about all this shit? There will be huge protests in London as usual. I have tweeted Sadiq Khan and I think he's full of shit really. He did not reply. He is my fucking Mayor. He's trying to shaft the tube drivers, who keep London afloat. He has no fucking chance. None. And that is the so called friend of London? Bollocks.

Trump needs to be stopped, before he fucks the whole thing up. Europe may even go to war with USA if he keeps this nonsense going.
laresident
laresident
861 posts

Jan 29, 2017, 03:59
It seems that Calexit is on the cards. California wants out. Dear old Jerry Brown was even saying that we can send up our own satellites to monitor the earth's climate after Trump shuts down NASA.
phallus dei
583 posts

Jan 29, 2017, 04:36
thesweetcheat wrote:
Quite. There's currently a large protest against the Muslim ban going on at JFK airport, so there is a resistance.

It's not a "Muslim ban," but a three-month delay before allowing people from seven Muslim nations to enter the US. Muslims from other Muslim nations, and Muslims elsewhere, aren't affected.

One can certainly argue whether or not the policy is justified, but the policy should at least be presented for what it is, and not made into something it's not.

Also, Obama imposed a six-month ban on Iraqi immigrants entering the US in 2011.
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6200 posts

Jan 29, 2017, 07:36
phallus dei wrote:
thesweetcheat wrote:

It's not a "Muslim ban," but a three-month delay before allowing people from seven Muslim nations to enter the US. Muslims from other Muslim nations, and Muslims elsewhere, aren't affected.

One can certainly argue whether or not the policy is justified, but the policy should at least be presented for what it is, and not made into something it's not.

Also, Obama imposed a six-month ban on Iraqi immigrants entering the US in 2011.

Interesting how no-one from any of those seven countries has been responsible for acts of terror in the US. Whereas the countries where the 9/11 terrorists came from are not included. And that Trump has property and the US has trade deals with those unaffected countries.

And let's be honest, far more Americans are killed by other Americans with guns than by Muslims from anywhere. Call it what you want, it's not a pretty policy.
Pages: 3 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index