Will Holywood protest this one?

Pages: 6 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
dhajjieboy
913 posts

Re: Will Holywood protest this one?
Jan 24, 2017, 19:43
Sorry...
not interested in your brand of history.
It somehow omits the 'final solution' figures that # in the millions.
2/3rds of the Jews in Europe.....EXTERMINATED....90% of the Polish Jewish population....EXTERMINATED.....
Just for starters.
So much for Dresden.

I don't owe it to you to spend my precious time debunking your completely one sided post and point{s} of view.
Sin Agog
Sin Agog
2253 posts

Jan 24, 2017, 20:30
The war had already been won thanks to Stalingrad. Dresden was entirely unnecessary, and many of its participants agree. The same goes for the bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki- Japan had already offered terms of surrender prior to the bombing, with the one bugaboo being they got to keep their emperor (which they ended up doing even after those two cities were bombed). In both instances, certain individuals wanted to test out their new toys before the war ended and they were made redundant.
Sin Agog
Sin Agog
2253 posts

Edited Jan 24, 2017, 20:37
Jan 24, 2017, 20:35
And people learn by osmosis, by example. Citizen lives oughtn't be thrown away on hubristic retaliatory whims. Countries and wars shouldn't be governed on the "you hit me first" principle. There has to be more nuance to it than that. Being shocked and mortified by butchery, getting to see its consequences then committing your own version even with that knowledge is in no way justified. Just like Dresden.
Sin Agog
Sin Agog
2253 posts

Jan 24, 2017, 20:49
Anyway, my Top 5 Polanski films:

1) The Tenant. Like an absurdist riposte to the harrowing claustrophobia of Repulsion. Right from the beginning with Fearless Vampire Killers, Polanski really was at his best when he delved into black comedy. It's a shame his last batch of pictures have been so icy. Great film.

2) Repulsion. Ye Gods, Catherine Deneuve was good in this. The kind of open wound vulnerability that must have hurt to film.

3) Cul-De-Sac. Another bit of dark absurdism, with my favourite ever Donald Pleasance performance. Bit like Waiting For Godot crossed with an old Warner Bros gangster flick. Very funny, if you have a bit of a warped sense of humour.

4) Rosemary's Baby. Read in Cassavetes On Cassavetes that he absolutely loathed working on this. I guess he was on a creative high at that point, having just made Faces, and took the work solely because he needed to fund his next feature. Nevertheless, it's a classic, right?

5) Knife in the Water/Chinatown. Canne choose.
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Edited Jan 25, 2017, 14:12
Jan 25, 2017, 14:11
Sanctuary wrote:
Locodogz wrote:
Sanctuary wrote:
Locodogz wrote:
"Become a billionaire"?!?

Isn't his net worth now marginally less than if he'd simply taken his inheritance and put into safe government bonds? Or is that fake news?!*

If so it's like congratulating the queen becoming wealthy....

*genuine question, just to clear, but I thought I heard that somewhere in all the election preamble

http://www.forbes.com/donald-trump/#230788fa790b

Hi Sanctuary

Thanks for this but I think you 'misread' me. I'm not disputing that Trump is a billionaire but I though I heard somewhere in all the election rhetoric that if he'd simply 'banked' his inheritance he'd be richer today (said as a rebuttal of his claimed business acumen?). Couldn't see anything in the Forbes piece about this?

Hi Locodogz

His wealth, or lack of it is neither here or there really I was just making a point that he isn't a stupid man.

Indeed not. He's a clever man dumbing down in order to appeal to stupid people, which is worse.
Sin Agog
Sin Agog
2253 posts

Jan 25, 2017, 14:53
I really don't think he is that clever. Like most people who gravitate towards power, he is extremely gifted at one thing- getting that power. People assume that translates to being gifted in general, but it doesn't. Trump's a Vegas showman, a child who can barely contain his ire when his ego is slighted. I'm just hoping his isolationist policies do translate to the rest of the world not being bothered with. If that's really what happens, then this thin-skinned child may even be better for the world than Obama. The American people may suffer, but at least people aren't being killed en masse. I'm sceptical as everyone I've seen involved with his campaign has a gormless, idiotic mien about them, and stupidity is more virulent and contagious than wit. I wonder how long such types will be able to hold back from attempting to infect other countries with their disease. We'll see.
Rhiannon
5290 posts

Jan 25, 2017, 16:14
The Dunning–Kruger effect in action perhaps.

(that's how I explain some of the irrational things that go on at work, anyway)
carol27
747 posts

Jan 25, 2017, 17:01
Do you know what I find the most astonishing thing to be, the older I get, the notion that any one person believes themselves capable or brilliant, or intelligent enough to dictate to us how it's going to be. I haven't any answers to the governance of the populace but truly it's fucking ludicrous.
Toni Torino
2299 posts

Jan 25, 2017, 18:22
This is fantastic.

https://youtu.be/gneBUA39mnI
dhajjieboy
913 posts

Jan 25, 2017, 18:23
No one has the answers.
It's ....ALL.... been tried before.
You would think a good start would be less crowding of our planet, yet at the time of Christ we had about 300 million people on the entire planet.
Even then we were collectively a conquering species that killed the most benevolent entity that ever was known to grace our savage planet.
The only thing left to try would be total universal-ism.
No individuality,1 benevolent deity, universal law, classless society, identical living arrangements for a population of no more than 1/2 billion, Every citizen dedicated to a lifetime appointed craft/Guild/Apprenticeship to benefit the greater good of the community.....
All this on a small apportioned part of the Earth with nothing for resources but recycled waste discarded by thoughtless prior generations of plague animals.
The only governance is strict obeyance enforced by immutable laws up to and including the death penalty.
That, as bleak as it sounds, is most probably the only way forward for the most worthy among'st us.
{really..what i've just described was Adam's generation through the Seth lineage...they just had to come down from that mountain and see what Cain had to offer....}{A flute and a lute, a snoot full of 'toot'}
But really now...individuality is so much more fun....along with all the trash it produces.
I only included the 1 benevolent entity because i think there may be something to 'Jungian' archetypes and all....i think we actually require a deity{among'st other fantasy's} to stay sane.
Pages: 6 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index