Topic View: Flat | Threaded
sanshee
sanshee
1080 posts

Edited Jan 22, 2017, 08:25
Will Holywood protest this one?
Jan 22, 2017, 08:23
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-38700222

**France's minister for women's rights said it was a "shocking" decision to appoint filmmaker Roman Polanski as head of the jury for the country's equivalent of the Oscars.**

I won't hold my breath.

There is plenty of footage out there of Holywood stars praising his work, and even accepting gongs in his absence.

All to mass standing ovation.

More disturbingly, many of them starkly defending his rape in other contexts.

Coz Rosemary's Baby was brilliant.

It's all out there on trusty old YouTube.

I have a daughter the same age as the girl he raped.

By our sensibilities he's a paedophile.

Surely by anyone's.

But somehow, not *theirs*.
dhajjieboy
913 posts

Re: Will Holywood protest this one?
Jan 22, 2017, 13:17
More to the point....
He was about to be convicted and sentenced for this charge nearly 40 years ago here in the states.
He fled to France and other European countries for safe harbor...
And found it there too...
Sorry Sanshee...says more about European sensibilities than Hollywood ones.
Nice try though....{the 'American' angle thingy...}
I've no love for Polanski either though...if it matters.
I do think though, that their are an awful lot of other musicians and artists from that era that were probably much worse in the same dept...and got a pass...
I'd dare say, many beloved old rockers that are regularly championed on this site.
It's a damn sticky wicket.
sanshee
sanshee
1080 posts

Edited Jan 22, 2017, 14:10
Jan 22, 2017, 13:46
dhajjieboy wrote:

More to the point....
He was about to be convicted and sentenced for this charge nearly 40 years ago here in the states.
He fled to France and other European countries for safe harbor...
And found it there too...
Sorry Sanshee...says more about European sensibilities than Hollywood ones.
Nice try though....{the 'American' angle thingy...}
I've no love for Polanski either though...if it matters.
I do think though, that their are an awful lot of other musicians and artists from that era that were probably much worse in the same dept...and got a pass...
I'd dare say, many beloved old rockers that are regularly championed on this site.
It's a damn sticky wicket.

What 'American Angle' thingy?
Do you think *Hollywood is America*, therefor having a pop at Hollywood MUST mean...
I feel sorry for you if you think so, your country has produced far greater stuff than that!
Jesus.
Any system that harbours this lowlife is as scummy as anyone who defends him.
You think I am saying 'America sucks Europe rules'?
You are wrong, FWIW I voted to leave the EU.
Does that feel better?
I know we are all tetchy right now but please try to grasp a bit of perspective.
There were world wide marches yesterday, we all know who it was about, we all know what is was about.
Even though some of the banners and posters went off-message, as is usual in protests.
Meryl Sreep, having a go (rightly)at Trump's comments, is well documented in supporting Polanski, even suggesting a grown man having sex with a 13 year old girl has some grey areas about it.
As have many others.
Fairly recently too.
Compartmentalised 'outrage' at its peak.
EDIT: Worth saying, yes, some 'on this site' will be listening to musicians whose sexual shenanigans they force themselves to forgo for the sake of enjoying the music they make.
But no one here is in a position to condescend to the masses, having their moral outrage cake and eating it, we're just punters, they are the 'elite'.
That's all.
dhajjieboy
913 posts

Jan 22, 2017, 14:14
Your thread title is as follows....

"Will Holywood protest this one?"

No way anyone might think:

1. 'Holy' wood ?
{no sniping at an 'American' institution there...}{nope...not at all..}

2. Isn't this about the 'French' version of the oscars ?

3. If he hadn't run off as a fugitive from American justice, wouldn't all this be academic?

4. Will the European academies of the respective arts be protesting this one ? {to reframe your thread in a less provocative manner}

Yeah...no way anyone might think such things based on a thread title like that....
But yeah...this is all about Meryl Streep.
And "Holy"wood.

I've already made my attitude toward Polanski clear.
sanshee
sanshee
1080 posts

Edited Jan 22, 2017, 14:42
Jan 22, 2017, 14:32
Yeah typo on the title.
Got me bang to rights there.
Imagine spelling it Holy-wood.
Wow what a clown I am.
Anyway, it's Hollywood (better now) who was leading the charge against your new president.
The biggest institution of them all.
Have a word with them.
Yes sure it's the French Oscars, yet the marches against Trump were world wide, so everyone is sticking their noses everywhere, aren't they?
I do not doubt your feeling towards Polanski, but you seem to think I want a fight here.
I don't.
Fuck the Queen and all that.
Cheers anyway.
https://www.theguardian.com/film/2017/jan/20/womens-groups-boycott-cesar-french-film-awards-roman-polanski
dhajjieboy
913 posts

Jan 22, 2017, 16:03
Sorry, had to step out for a bit....
You are mistaken to think that i thought you wanted an argument.
I have to say though, that i truly value accurate perception of things.
I am very aware of the Awards program at which Meryl Streep gave a standing ovation in response to an award for best director {in addition to several other awards {Acadamy Awards} that night} for the motion picture 'The Pianist'...
The entire assembled audience also applauded the choice too...
I wouldn't dare to speak for other people's motivations, but i believe it's safe to say that it was for that particular film that the enthusiastic response was for, and not it's director's foibles.
And besides...films of that caliber are not made by 1 person.
'The Pianist' is an incredibly moving film.{and one who's story needed telling}
If there exists any record of Meryl Streep condoning Roman Polanski's personal behaviors...that's another thing entirely.
Also Sanshee...it's not Hollywood that is leading the protest movement against President Trump...it's a totally grass-roots American/Global upheaval{outrage?} movement.
I myself do not hold or reference 'Hollywood' as my personal choice of guiding light in matters of affairs either 'righteous' or global outlook..
They produce films as a commodity foremost and as entertainment secondary.
Seriously, i don't hold Hollywood as a font of social conscientiousness....not at all.
This whole Polanski thing...let France have 'em.
sanshee
sanshee
1080 posts

Jan 22, 2017, 16:28
Yup, there does exist footage out there of Streep and others, many women, condoning, excusing, contextualising, Polanski's criminality.
And there is much commentary from the US mirroring what I am saying.
All on YouTube.
One clip I saw the other night on my 'TV YouTube feature', I can't find again, but wraps it up very neatly.
And yes he has sanctuary in Europe, thought I hope if the sorry bastard ever travelled to the UK, we'd send him stateside to get his comeuppance.
But who knows.
The whole thing is symptomatic of why a knucklehead like Trump got voted in the first place.
And yes, the irony is killer.
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Jan 22, 2017, 21:39
sanshee wrote:

The whole thing is symptomatic of why a knucklehead like Trump got voted in the first place.

Yep, he's such a knucklehead he could only become a billionaire - what a loser!
Locodogz
Locodogz
254 posts

Jan 23, 2017, 12:15
"Become a billionaire"?!?

Isn't his net worth now marginally less than if he'd simply taken his inheritance and put into safe government bonds? Or is that fake news?!*

If so it's like congratulating the queen becoming wealthy....

*genuine question, just to clear, but I thought I heard that somewhere in all the election preamble
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Jan 23, 2017, 14:12
Locodogz wrote:
"Become a billionaire"?!?

Isn't his net worth now marginally less than if he'd simply taken his inheritance and put into safe government bonds? Or is that fake news?!*

If so it's like congratulating the queen becoming wealthy....

*genuine question, just to clear, but I thought I heard that somewhere in all the election preamble

http://www.forbes.com/donald-trump/#230788fa790b
Pages: 6 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index