Pages: 4 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
sanshee
sanshee
1080 posts

Edited Nov 05, 2016, 10:25
Re: Article 50
Nov 05, 2016, 10:15
Some banks have already pledged to stay put, and some are expanding here.
Public would vote oust the govt every time they do something they don't like, which would be not possible.
In Aberdeen, there's controversy with some workers being paid well under the minimum UK wage, they travel to UK shores as part of their work but because they are are based elsewhere, it's 'legal' under EU procurement rules.
Protecting workers' rights?
Really?
That's the sort of thing Corbyn used to voice, he was no friend of the EU, and TBH he's really disappointing me right now.
Captain Starlet
Captain Starlet
1110 posts

Nov 05, 2016, 13:13
Not sure which banks are expanding as a number now have already made the decision to move out of the UK. A lot of work has already been shipped overseas because of the ref result which has already cost thousands of jobs (including mine as I was working in banking) and there's thousands more losses in the pipeline.

Some banks like HRBC are looking to relocate to Scotland if they get independence because of brexit but not heard about anything else
nigelswift
8112 posts

Nov 05, 2016, 13:32
Plus, we've yet to hear how much the Nissan bribe was and what form it took.
Captain Starlet
Captain Starlet
1110 posts

Nov 05, 2016, 14:42
I can't imagine that would be cheap. There was something floating around the other day that it was more than they pay in wages so not a small amount.
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6200 posts

Nov 05, 2016, 19:14
sanshee wrote:
Like I said if 'remain' won, the 'oh it's only advisory' but would not be called in.

Mr Farage wasn't with you on that one before the event:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/nigel-farage-wants-second-referendum-7985017

And the irony of people wanting to "take back our sovereignty" from Europe, while then arguing that Parliament shouldn't be sovereign in *this* case would be hilarious if it wasn't so utterly idiotic. The literature made it absolutely clear that this was a non-binding, advisory referendum. As every other referendum we've ever had has been. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Referendums_in_the_United_Kingdom
carlyclub
carlyclub
128 posts

Edited Nov 06, 2016, 08:15
Nov 06, 2016, 02:28
sanshee wrote:
I am not opposed to parliament having its say as such, but some of them have said already they will vote against starting the process regardless, nothing will please them other than the whole thing being scrapped.
Which is outrageous.
David Lammy said that the other day.
Could be we get an early election anyway.

Early election? Maybe, maybe not, as we're still bound by the Fixed Term Parliaments Act 2011, so any no confidence (or equivalent effect) motion needs a vote that is equal to/greater than two thirds of the number of seats in the House. Of course, as the HC affirmed, Parliament is sovereign so it can decide to repeal the FTP Act, or May could wilfully (and perversely) trigger a no confidence motion in her own Govt and hope some of the other parties vote with her party but can either event be guaranteed to happen in the current febrile atmosphere? All political parties will be making some careful assessments at the mo' so who knows (tho' the PLP may go along if it thinks it will get rid of Corbyn)? We live in interesting times. Anyhow, I would recommend looking at the HC judgement in 'Miller' as it's a readable crash course in constitutional law, whether you agree with their conclusions or not - https://www.judiciary.gov.uk/judgments/r-miller-v-secretary-of-state-for-exiting-the-european-union/
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Re: Article 50 - Editorial from the Observer
Nov 06, 2016, 10:34
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/nov/06/high-court-ruling-brexit-not-sabotaging-parliamentary-democracy-best-deal-britain?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6200 posts

Re: Article 50 - Editorial from the Observer
Nov 06, 2016, 10:57
Good piece that.
Pages: 4 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index