Pages: 4 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
sanshee
sanshee
1080 posts

Re: Article 50
Nov 04, 2016, 15:58
Why vote then?
This vote wasn't about parliamentary process it was a referendum.
Your MPs vote meant as much as yours, we rarely get that.
They are paid to do as they are instructed.
We pay them, we instruct them.
And it's not in anyone's interest to ignore what people have voted for, then you get all sort of unexpected nasties.
The EU has brought much of the rise of the right wing on itself by being so aloof and taking so much for granted.
Captain Starlet
Captain Starlet
1110 posts

Edited Nov 04, 2016, 16:17
Nov 04, 2016, 16:16
Well not really as the ref wasn't legally binding. The MP's vote is. What we had essentially was an opinion poll.

They're not paid to do as instructed, their paid to act in the best interests. If they're just paid to do as they're told then the whole process of democracy (in this country) is utterly pointless.
sanshee
sanshee
1080 posts

Edited Nov 04, 2016, 16:46
Nov 04, 2016, 16:44
Supreme Court will decide, so who knows.
And only a minority of MPs will dare go against the will of the electorate on this.
And yes, it was 'advisory'.
But how many do you think knew that when they voted?
How many actually read Party Manifestos before they vote?
Certainly the literature that was sent out to us made it clear our decision would be just that.
A 'decision'.
I guarantee you had remain won we would not be having this conversation.
And there would be no court case, the petitioners are banking on parliament scrapping the whole lot.
Which would be a democratic outrage.
Which is why they won't.
EDIT: And parliament did vote 6 to 1 to give us this vote in the first place.
It did not come with the hashtag #we are just takin the piss btw.
Captain Starlet
Captain Starlet
1110 posts

Nov 04, 2016, 16:48
I seriously doubt that any MP will vote against their own wishes. So many have vested interests in the business & financial sectors so voting leave will actually cost them a lot more than voting against the public will will. It's a se of screw the referendum. It was advisory, it was an opinion poll and nothing more, the High Court yesterday actually confirmed that by acknowledging that Parliament must vote.

I imagine it will go to the Supreme Court and then, ironically, the European courts
sanshee
sanshee
1080 posts

Nov 04, 2016, 16:58
3/4 of constituents voted leave, Any of those MPs who vote this down will be out of a job down the line.
Which sounds a bundle of fun.
Like I said if 'remain' won, the 'oh it's only advisory' but would not be called in.
The judges (one of them instrumental in integrating EU laws BTW)used this as their benchmark, parliament won't.
The conversation would become toxic.
Parliament will not vote this down.
It is up to them to be as honest as they can now.
Maybe Corbyn can use his historic long held mistrust of the EU to guide the process.
Captain Starlet
Captain Starlet
1110 posts

Nov 04, 2016, 17:13
Well no they won't because that's not their job. People will complain regardless of what they vote, however anyone with a level of decency will recognise that MP's have their own right to choose as being an equal part in a democracy. Doing what your told is not democratic that's dictatorship.
Captain Starlet
Captain Starlet
1110 posts

Nov 04, 2016, 17:14
And the conversation's already toxic, it actually can't get any worse!
nigelswift
8112 posts

Nov 05, 2016, 08:23
sanshee wrote:
It's reckoned almost 3/4 of constituencies voted 'leave'.
Will MPs really ignore that?

Probably not (even though I personally wish they would because a.I'm a remainer and b. this is a parliamentary democracy not a referendum one).

All the stuff being spouted about the judges' decision will frustrate the public vote by watering down brexit is nonsense IMO. Most people voted for soft brexit, surely, and that's now far more likely? To label them enemies of the people misses that point completely.
sanshee
sanshee
1080 posts

Nov 05, 2016, 08:49
I am not opposed to parliament having its say as such, but some of them have said already they will vote against starting the process regardless, nothing will please them other than the whole thing being scrapped.
Which is outrageous.
David Lammy said that the other day.
Could be we get an early election anyway.
nigelswift
8112 posts

Nov 05, 2016, 08:58
sanshee wrote:
Could be we get an early election anyway.

If necessary I suppose.

I understand your point that it would be outrageous for Parliament to reject the refendum result but 5 months is a long time in politics, what if most of the banks (for instance) said they'd re-locate if Brexit happened and the polls started indicating a change of public heart?. We "die hard" remainers still hope something might turn up.
Pages: 4 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index