The Future of the Labour Party

Pages: 21 – [ Previous | 13 4 5 6 7 8 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Captain Starlet
Captain Starlet
1110 posts

Re: The Future of the Labour Party
Jul 06, 2016, 22:54
Oh well, looks like the coup's over! What a complete farce, an utter embarrassment and complete waste of time!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/07/06/defeated-labour-rebels-admit-its-finished-as-jeremy-corbyn-refus/
jb lamptoast-morsley
jb lamptoast-morsley
2447 posts

Jul 11, 2016, 23:53
It still doesn't seem to be set in stone that JC will be able to run in the leadership contest. I think there is some decision about it pending. Well Angela Eagle and possibly Owen Smith will be. CRAAAACK goes the Labour Party.
Rhiannon
5290 posts

Jul 12, 2016, 08:15
Angela Eagle was on the today programme this morning. She was spinning all this stuff about 'bringing the party together' but when it was raised that she'd voted for the iraq war, liked trident and didn't vote against austerity cuts... she didn't like that.

Do we want a Labour party or tory lite again? I thought the whole point was that the people are fed up of politics not representing them. Why do the PLP want to pursue more tory lite when it hasn't worked for them the last two elections? That's doing the same thing and expecting a different result, surely.

I don't care if the party splits, at least a proper labour party would have policies fitting of a labour party.
Rhiannon
5290 posts

about the nec meeting today
Jul 12, 2016, 09:39
What it says in the rulebook is
i. In the case of a vacancy for leader or deputy leader, each nomination must be supported by 12.5 per cent of the Commons members of the PLP. Nominations not attaining this threshold shall be null and void.

ii. Where there is no vacancy, nominations may be sought by potential challengers each year prior to the annual session of party conference. In this case any nomination must be supported by 20 per cent of the Commons members of the PLP. Nominations not attaining this threshold shall be null and void.

To me that's pretty clear cut. There is no vacancy. And it's potential challengers that need to get 20 per cent of the PLP to support them. So the current leader doesn't need to do that.
Captain Starlet
Captain Starlet
1110 posts

Re: about the nec meeting today
Jul 12, 2016, 10:36
That's the way most people are reading it from what I've seen. The consequences of him not being on that ballot will likely is what will split Labour. The right won't split from the left as they don't have the numbers or the support, but if the left leave, especially with so many joining who's left of Labour will be finished
Rhiannon
5290 posts

Jul 12, 2016, 12:36
Every time I think i've reached peak cynicism another peak comes into view. Hence I could not read this
http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jul/12/angela-eagles-constituency-office-vandalised-after-leadership-bid-launch
without wondering whether one of her friends had put the brick through themselves. I trust no-one. But with all the ruthless backstabbing and blatant lying going on lately, is that any surprise.
carol27
747 posts

Jul 12, 2016, 19:33
Rhiannon wrote:
Every time I think i've reached peak cynicism another peak comes into view. Hence I could not read this
http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jul/12/angela-eagles-constituency-office-vandalised-after-leadership-bid-launch
without wondering whether one of her friends had put the brick through themselves. I trust no-one. But with all the ruthless backstabbing and blatant lying going on lately, is that any surprise.

I heard earlier that despite the BBC knowing & reporting the brick throwing incident the Wallasey police hadn't received an incident report.
carol27
747 posts

Jul 12, 2016, 19:35
Captain Starlet wrote:
That's the way most people are reading it from what I've seen. The consequences of him not being on that ballot will likely is what will split Labour. The right won't split from the left as they don't have the numbers or the support, but if the left leave, especially with so many joining who's left of Labour will be finished

Well bring it on.
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6200 posts

Jul 12, 2016, 21:07
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/jeremy-corbyn-labour-nec-leadership-angela-eagle-momentum-unite-a7133486.html
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6200 posts

Re: Another own goal (that's about 6-0)
Jul 12, 2016, 21:26
The Labour NEC have decided to block anyone who's joined the LP in the last two weeks from voting in the upcoming leadership election. Despite the fact that the recruiting campaign and the current LP website specifically promises that as a new member you'd get a vote in any leadership election. Ooops.

That's about 130,000 people blocked and probably permanently disengaged from the party before they've even got going. Ooops.

But you can pay £25 as a "supporter" and get a vote. Nicely priced to keep the poorest from getting a say (last September it was £3). Ooops.

Democracy, Labour 2016 style. Ooops.
Pages: 21 – [ Previous | 13 4 5 6 7 8 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index