U-Know! Forum »
How many of you actually voted?

15 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Rhiannon
5291 posts

Re: How many of you actually voted?
Jun 28, 2016, 16:19
I think the issues were quite complicated but the Leave side tried to make everything about snappy nationalism. Nostalgia is massive in the media- it was better when women made cakes and sewed their own clothes, and Britain was Great and we saw off Johnny foreigner in the war. Yes! Vote Leave! and we can return to those good old days. Get rid of all those foreigners. England for the English. Etc. It's not quite like America where everyone's pretty much related to someone who came to the country recently (I may be over exaggerating).

So the 'Remain' were basically saying 'everything's better if we keep things pretty much the same'. And 'Leave' were full of 'Everything's going to be BRILLIANT you just have to BELIEVE'. So if you're of a certain easily-whipped up nature, it's obvious you'll want to be all optimistic and vote for a better future, better than all the shit you've got now. Except maybe they were overlooking the likely consequences because they're hard to think about. And maybe they weren't cynical enough about all the things we have already found out were lies (more money for the NHS, control over immigration etc). Even though most people know damn well that politicians lie.

So I think Remain had a bigger job on their hands than they realised.

I feel like we're all in limbo. And the only properly decent left wing leader in years is being royally made over by his traitorous shadow cabinet. Thanks a LOT.

U-Know! Forum Index