1621 posts

Edited Jun 19, 2016, 10:05
Re: Jo Cox
Jun 19, 2016, 09:47
Popel Vooje wrote:
Markoid wrote:
Popel Vooje wrote:
Captain Starlet wrote:
As someone who runs a mental health campaign (albeit small) the need for some to label non-Muslim people who do this as mentally ill is completely abhorrent! If he was mentally ill the likelihood is is that any GP would have picked up on it, family and friends would have picked up on it, you can't hide it all of the time.

There's numerous pictures online showing him at bf demos showing he was a well known regular, and with his disgusting comment in court today this eradicates any call that there's mental health issues and that he's an extremist plain and simple! Thing is if the guy looked like a Muslim people wouldn't even be thinking mental health but just that that person was a religious extremist and I see no reason to suggest otherwise here!

I think he was both a terrorist and mentally ill. Sometimes mentally disturbed people attach themselves to screwed-up ideologies in order to legitimise their actions, and it's a sad fact that the Internet has most likely contributed to this.

I have come across a couple of reports in which his brother confirms he has a history of OCD and depression - but given how underfunded mental health services are in the UK, I find it easy to believe he could have slipped under the radar.

Nonetheless, this was still a hate crime, and deserves to be treated as such.

What you have to remember though is that the mad (or the mentally ill) don't usually go around killing folks. That dangerous bull is left to the press, warmongerers, arms traders, the media and governments.

Of course not. I know enough about mental illness to know that it's far more common for the afflicted to be victims of violence rather than perpetrators of it. I'm not trying to imply that this murder was part of a general pattern - but looking at the specifics of this case, it appears undeniable that the killer did have a history of problems in that area.

Another report I've just read claimed he'd visited a drop-in place called the Birstall Wellbeing Centre looking for alternative remedies/therapies for his depression because the meds he'd been prescribed weren't working. this was the night before the murder. The woman who saw him told him to come back next day for an appointment but he never did.

Depression is not a causative effect in violent crimes. Quite the opposite infact. Violent suicide.
He was given help, but never took it. Hardly a blight on the mental health system, which is totally underfunded. Most killers are sane. Only a few are nuts..that's where I come in.

23 years in forensic psychiatry. I know my stuff! I don't fuck about with books and hearsay anymore. Been there!
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index