Topic View: Flat | Threaded
jb lamptoast-morsley
jb lamptoast-morsley
2447 posts

What should I know about Noam Chomsky and a move to the left
May 10, 2016, 17:31
A video with NC talking about Bernie Sanders popped into my youtube account:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btJfkPBLULg

What should I know about the man? He seems to have quite a reputation as a bit of an intellectual heavyweight. Well it is looking increasingly unlikely that Bernie will get elected (much like Jeremy Corbyn it would seem), but it has tapped into something quite profound with a movement towards the left that could be even more prominent in years to come
dhajjieboy
913 posts

Re: What should I know about Noam Chomsky and a move to the left
May 10, 2016, 19:28
I like Noam, however, as you say, he is an intellectual heavyweight whose musings are way past the sound bite level and thus will probably not influence the greater population at large.
I also think that Noam is way beyond the 'Left-Right' schism.....
He is a man who values logic, and pondering {and staying focused upon} an issue across it's length, breadth and depth.
Left/right is hopelessly bogged down with nationalism, racism, gut feeling vs. being informed,rioting and mob mentality.
It's a shame about Bernie too...I like the guy.
I still can't believe that Trump gathered the impetus that he has.....
handofdave
handofdave
3515 posts

May 11, 2016, 03:09
He's a leftist's leftist.
In 'Manufacturing Consent' he even goes after Jimmy Carter... generally considered, in leftist terms, to be a pretty acceptable president. He points out how the USA was complicit in genocide in East Timor under his administration.

Regarding Bernie... it isn't over.
Pursued By Trees
Pursued By Trees
1135 posts

Edited May 11, 2016, 10:40
May 11, 2016, 10:38
It's a reputation well-earned. He is nothing if not completely thorough, completely on the ball and his every-angle approach coupled with searing insight and formal intellectual methodology ensures that when he has something to say it'll be worth your while trying to grasp what he's getting at.

He has a particular focus for media and linguistics ... which have only made him more relevant and given him more to work with as the information age progresses. 'Manufacturing Consent' is pretty much essential reading.

Handily, there are also a number of CD's of the great man himself, many of them released by Jello Biafra's Alternative Tentacles label. Jello's spoken word albums (including those he's done with D.O.A.) are also well-worth a listen, if maybe a little dated in some of the specifics now (Tipper Gore & the PMRC etc).

Not sure to what extent Chomsky is really a neo-Marxist, but as a point from which to critically analyze the development and machinations of modern western capitalism it's an invaluable perspective.
Robot Emperor
Robot Emperor
762 posts

May 11, 2016, 14:08
Thing is he has always been prolific and has been around for a very long time. In the 70's through to the early 90's (when I first came across him) you would see him referred to as an anarchist. He's obviously slightly changed his opinions over the decades, but I think he's still an anarchist rather than any shade of Marxist - save a broad agreement with his economic theories.
dhajjieboy
913 posts

May 11, 2016, 14:16
Noam on 'Revolutions'.....{1969){American power and the new Manderins}

"No less insidious is the cry for 'revolution,' at a time when not even the germs of new institutions exist, let alone the moral and political consciousness that could lead to a basic modification of social life. If there will be a 'revolution' in America today, it will no doubt be a move towards some variety of fascism. We must guard against the kind of revolutionary rhetoric that would have had Karl Marx burn down the British Museum because it was merely part of a repressive society. It would be criminal to overlook the serious flaws and inadequacies in our institutions, or to fail to utilize the substantial degree of freedom that most of us enjoy, within the framework of these flawed institutions, to modify them or even replace them by a better social order. One who pays some attention to history will not be surprised if those who cry most loudly that we must smash and destroy are later found among the administrators of some new system of repression."

Spot on and no less relevant today in 2016.
dhajjieboy
913 posts

May 11, 2016, 14:19
He's been labeled many things...
What does he go 'on the record' calling/catagorizing himself?
Robot Emperor
Robot Emperor
762 posts

May 11, 2016, 14:20
Robot Emperor wrote:
Thing is he has always been prolific and has been around for a very long time. In the 70's through to the early 90's (when I first came across him) you would see him referred to as an anarchist. He's obviously slightly changed his opinions over the decades, but I think he's still an anarchist rather than any shade of Marxist - save a broad agreement with his economic theories.

A fantastic book Alex Butterworth's The World That Never Was. About the secret war against Anarchism in 19th and 20th century by various governments. Cannot recommend it highly enough. Good introduction to the ideas, astonishing stories and shocking revelations.

Anarchism was massive in America and was brutally suppressed. This is almost a secret history. Possibly the conflict that defined 20th century history.
Robot Emperor
Robot Emperor
762 posts

Edited May 11, 2016, 15:01
May 11, 2016, 14:39
handofdave wrote:
He's a leftist's leftist.
In 'Manufacturing Consent' he even goes after Jimmy Carter... generally considered, in leftist terms, to be a pretty acceptable president. He points out how the USA was complicit in genocide in East Timor under his administration.

Regarding Bernie... it isn't over.

I really dislike this term "Leftist". As a political term it covers a spectrum of ideas so broad as to be at odds with each other. I swear it is born of an attempt to control thought, to neuter "dangerous" ideas.

Edit: Not by yourself Mr Handofdave. Just lamenting the popularity of the term.
dhajjieboy
913 posts

May 11, 2016, 14:44
He embraces no ideology, and supports no revolution. His critics charge he is wedded to a simplistic view of the world, based on imaginary conspiracies, and yet, as the essayist Brian Morton wrote recently, 'many Americans are no longer convinced that our Government has the right to destroy any country it wants to, and Chomsky deserves much of the credit.'
John Pilger, November 25, 1992
Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index