Head To Head
Register
U-Know! Forum »
"Another Year" Film (Dir. Mike Leigh, 2010)

19 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Robot Emperor
Robot Emperor
762 posts

Re: "Another Year" Film (Dir. Mike Leigh, 2010)
Sep 21, 2015, 11:30
And I've seen "My afternoons with Margueritte". Simplistic sentimental drivel. With an overwhelming sense of patronising paternalistic concern for the lower orders, who in this movie are illiterate and sub-normal. Easier to exercise that condescending concern to someone who isn't fucking furious at the injustice surrounding them.

Perhaps if he chose a French movie similarly portraying the modern malaise ("La Vie de Jesus" perhaps, or "L'humanite") discussion would be possible. Modern French literature is full of books that display the break down of community and the isolation of the individual - "Atomised" to cite a well known example.

Lets not forget that the biggest film last year in France ("Qu'est-ce qu'on a fait au Bon Dieu?") isn't getting released here because it is racist.

I'm of a view that criticism starts with oneself. If things are shit am I doing enough? I certainly wouldn't seek absolution from the problems of the modern world because of where I was born. I'm a trade-unionist, a member of the Labour party, I run an under 10's football team, I'm even active in the church (even though I think religion a ridiculous idea - I like the music, the choir master here shows excellent taste). All are bonds that tie the disparate.
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index