http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/2419713.stm

Doesn't look like it's gonna stop Kev:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/2440385.stm
grufty jim
grufty jim
1978 posts

Re: Have you all just been blanking this out
Nov 11, 2002, 11:31
This is being discussed heavily on the cannabis mailing lists and forums. Frankly the study is pretty dubious; but even if 100% correct, it still doesn't have any bearing whatsoever on the arguments in favour of legalisation.
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Nov 11, 2002, 11:34
I was just reading these very reports.

Makes you kinda tip your head to one side, stroke you chin and go ... 'hhmmm .. Really?' doesn't it?

Well, that's what I did anyway.
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Nov 11, 2002, 11:35
"it still doesn't have any bearing whatsoever on the arguments in favour of legalisation."

Ooh! I'd have to disagree there. Surely it actually adds to the case for tobacco being made illegal.
grufty jim
grufty jim
1978 posts

Nov 11, 2002, 11:41
>
> Ooh! I'd have to disagree there. Surely it
> actually adds to the case for tobacco being
> made illegal.
>
Only if you believe that prohibition is an effective means of control for a dangerous substance. Myself; i don't know of any drug that becomes less dangerous to the individual or to society when we turn it's production and distribution over to violent criminals.
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Nov 11, 2002, 11:55
No I know. I was just being a silly bugger.

Anyway, that aside, the Irish gov't are about to try and ban smaoking in public places (a public place being any enclosed space where the public have access to). This will mean no smoking in pubs/clubs/restaurants etc.

As a smoker I must admit to fully supporting this.

I saw the other day that the BMA (or someone similar) was calling upon the gov't to do the same.

This would of course seriously fuck up cannabis cafes!
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Nov 14, 2002, 20:59
Same here. None of this is news to me. I remember reading years ago in Andrew Tyler's book "Street Drugs" that smoking THC is more carcinogenic than fags. But as one correspondent on that BBC website pointed out, much of the tar can be filtered out with water. I don't think this will have any effect one way or another on the decriminalisation issue. It won't stop me from toking, either, even though I gave up cigs a few years ago.
U-Know! Forum Index