Pages: 7 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
grufty jim
grufty jim
1978 posts

Edited Jul 26, 2015, 21:12
Donald Trump for President!
Jul 26, 2015, 21:12
I know there are a few Americans on this board, so maybe one of you could settle a bet for me... this whole "taking Trump seriously as a presidential candidate" thing you've got going at the moment... it's just a joke, right? It's an elaborate practical joke you're playing; either on us - the rest of the world - or on Trump himself. Or both.

Because the alternative... that's just ridiculous, right?
laresident
laresident
861 posts

Re: Donald Trump for President!
Jul 26, 2015, 21:52
I think he's working for Hillary.
1001realapes
1001realapes
2384 posts

Jul 26, 2015, 23:25
He's a joke !
spencer
spencer
3068 posts

Jul 27, 2015, 00:12
He's still using Neil Young's Rocking In The Free World as his campaign song, despite the latter's umbrage.....but, really, there's no good candidate as far as I can make out, and they'll all be financially backed by the same bunch... God Help America. Then us.
dhajjieboy
913 posts

Jul 27, 2015, 00:13
I don't know why i bother....
I think of your posts as a trap to incite arguments over the smallest of diffrences, but here goes.
He ain't got a chance. In spite of what the latest 'polls' have to say, he does not represent the majority of Americans. At all.
I myself, {53 years old} am a life long registered Democrat.
I vote Democrat. Not because it is the best choice, but the only other viable choice is repellent to me. I don't believe in 'spoiling' my vote.
I do not owe anyone an explanation why.
Election is still a year and a half away anyhow. This is all media with nothing else to report but gunman massacres and what the hell the Kardashian sisters are eating for lunch.
Donald Trump supporters know what they know thru Rupert Murdoch empire tabloids like the N.Y. Post and shit like that.
Let them have their moment in the sun.
grufty jim
grufty jim
1978 posts

Jul 27, 2015, 00:57
dhajjieboy wrote:

Then don't. It's really very very simple. Just don't.

dhajjieboy wrote:
I think of your posts as a trap to incite arguments over the smallest of diffrences, but here goes.

It wasn't a trap. They aren't traps. It wasn't supposed to incite an argument. Or even be remotely contentious. It was almost the precise opposite. And it's such a shame that I need to point that out, because like being forced to laboriously explain a joke, it kills the spirit of the thing.

I'm well aware that Donald Trump does not represent the vast majority of Americans. The essence of my point wasn't even about America; I was making a universal point by drawing attention to a current extreme example of the thing. I ask the same question about the bizarre decision of Londoners to take Boris Johnson seriously.

And every bloody day I wonder aloud about the Irish people collectively electing Tweedledee to run the country after Tweedledum destroyed the place.

I'm not angling for an argument, but your insistence on reading one in everything I say is paranoid as hell (and just tiring from my perspective). I don't think I'm saying anything remotely controversial or contentious when I say that we - collectively speaking - seem to regularly vote against our own best interests.

We elect the wrong people. Almost all the time. And this isn't a left/right ideological thing, or a party political thing... it's just objectively true. Here in Ireland we have elected governments that landed the country with generations of debt, incurred by international private financial institutions over which the people had no effective control (or legal accountability for). What happened here is one of the great scandals of our times, but it has been effectively swept under the mat in order to keep the European financial system ticking along nicely.

We objectively took the wrong people seriously; however you cut it. And we continue to do so. And that's the point. The people in Irish politics have not changed in the past decade. We voted to not change things.

And the reason for that is because there's a systemic problem that only presents "the wrong people" as viable options. I have no idea how you fix that. I don't think you can under capitalism actually, but that's a whole 'nother discussion - and that one probably would be controversial and contentious but it's not what I'm talking about here.

Like it or not Americans, you are still the only real superpower on the world stage right now. So American politics is de facto world politics. Other than Irish people, no bugger gives a shite who the next government of Ireland will be. But everybody in the world cares who the next US president is going to be. For good reason.

So it's world news when a lunatic like Trump starts polling well - even if it's just in terms of a party candidacy. We all know the guy doesn't represent sensible Americans, but we look at our own governments and we realise that idiots get elected all the bloody time.

It just matters more in some places than others.

None of this is contentious dodge, none of it is argumentative. So please, stop trying to turn every bloody thing into a psychodrama. I was making a light-hearted reference to a universal issue. One which happens to be made current by Donald Trump.

Do I think he'll be the next president? Of course not. But crazier things have happened in modern democracy and for every day that passes with him being taken seriously, the joke gets a teensy bit more uncomfortable.
dhajjieboy
913 posts

Edited Jul 27, 2015, 02:23
Jul 27, 2015, 02:11
grufty jim wrote:
dhajjieboy wrote:

Then don't. It's really very very simple. Just don't.

Dhajj:
Oh Jimmy, you need a burr in your ass like me. Like it or not, i am as representative of the American left as you will find.

Jimmy:
dhajjieboy wrote:

It wasn't a trap. They aren't traps. It wasn't supposed to incite an argument. Or even be remotely contentious. It was almost the precise opposite. And it's such a shame that I need to point that out, because like being forced to laboriously explain a joke, it kills the spirit of the thing.

Dhajj:
Jimmy....
Seriously... You have a very long history of argumentive and line by line evisceration of small diffrences of opinions.
Do you really think a staunch right winger is gonna hang around these parts very long? As far as spirit killing, there are many members here who have not engaged you here for many years now.... Hmmmmmm.
But all that aside, lets stick with THE DONALD for now.
{also by now it should be clear i am going to engage you in your own manner...line by line}{you love the challenge too}{i know}

Jimmy:
I'm well aware that Donald Trump does not represent the vast majority of Americans. The essence of my point wasn't even about America; I was making a universal point by drawing attention to a current extreme example of the thing. I ask the same question about the bizarre decision of Londoners to take Boris Johnson seriously.

Dhajj:
This is PT Barnum for the 21'st century. Hucksterism and all the shit Republicans have spoken in code finally revealed in boldface.
Big freakin' deal.

Jimmy:
And every bloody day I wonder aloud about the Irish people collectively electing Tweedledee to run the country after Tweedledum destroyed the place.

Dhajj:
Tweedledee and tweedledum.....
Handel vs. Bononcini?
Captain Kirk vs. Finnigan..
Nothing ever changes.

Jimmy:
I'm not angling for an argument, but your insistence on reading one in everything I say is paranoid as hell (and just tiring from my perspective). I don't think I'm saying anything remotely controversial or contentious when I say that we - collectively speaking - seem to regularly vote against our own best interests.

Dhajj:
You overate me. Paranoid? Too busy finishishing up my career for that.
You also 'tire' too easily....have you had your health checked lately?
Voting against our own best interests? We work with what we have.
The only revolution that will be forthcoming will be when the benefit checks stop arriving. Then we will all be forced to face the facts.
We expected our society's to care for us from birth to death....and offered little in the way back...."collectively"

Jimmy:
We elect the wrong people. Almost all the time. And this isn't a left/right ideological thing, or a party political thing... it's just objectively true. Here in Ireland we have elected governments that landed the country with generations of debt, incurred by international private financial institutions over which the people had no effective control (or legal accountability for). What happened here is one of the great scandals of our times, but it has been effectively swept under the mat in order to keep the European financial system ticking along nicely.

Dhajj:
Maybe so, but all these things are so much bigger than we.
What cha gonna' do?
Me? I do the best i can as an individual and working with the community.
{lots of volunteer work, and a beloved neighbor and friend}
I can live with myself on a day to day basis.
I vote too. Every election.

Jimmy:
We objectively took the wrong people seriously; however you cut it. And we continue to do so. And that's the point. The people in Irish politics have not changed in the past decade. We voted to not change things.

Dhajj:
Most people know that they are presented with ass-clowns for leaders.....
But barring personal involvement in politics, what are you left with?
Complaining on an internet rock and roll website politics subforum?
Running around with a big plaster head on?
Or worse....violent protests....{can't cop to that myself...man.}

Jimmy:
And the reason for that is because there's a systemic problem that only presents "the wrong people" as viable options. I have no idea how you fix that. I don't think you can under capitalism actually, but that's a whole 'nother discussion - and that one probably would be controversial and contentious but it's not what I'm talking about here.

Dhajj:
Yes.
But it's all been said before.
Democracy probably is a failed experiment...certainly what it's evolved into. Whats next? Anarchy? Everyone doing what they want shall be the whole of the law? Fuuuuuuuck that too. It would quickly evolve into the Lord of the Flies. Ask any kid on the bottom of the public school system pecking order.

Jimmy:
Like it or not Americans, you are still the only real superpower on the world stage right now. So American politics is de facto world politics. Other than Irish people, no bugger gives a shite who the next government of Ireland will be. But everybody in the world cares who the next US president is going to be. For good reason.

Dhajj:
I will stick my neck out here and tell you that America is tired of being on the vangaurd. It is a completely thankless job.
I do truly believe that if the US were not policing the world at it own cost, there would be the Anarchy. As it would actually manifest itself.
A charnel house. And there ain't no road map on how to do it right either.

Jimmy:
So it's world news when a lunatic like Trump starts polling well - even if it's just in terms of a party candidacy. We all know the guy doesn't represent sensible Americans, but we look at our own governments and we realise that idiots get elected all the bloody time.

Dhajj:
I'm not going to lose sleep over Donald Trump. You should'nt either.

Jimmy;
It just matters more in some places than others.

Dhajj:
America is there for those who need us. No matter what ass hat is in the executive seat.

Jimmy:
None of this is contentious dodge, none of it is argumentative. So please, stop trying to turn every bloody thing into a psychodrama. I was making a light-hearted reference to a universal issue. One which happens to be made current by Donald Trump.

Dhajj:
It's 'Dhajj'...ok Jimmy?
If you think your getting handed a 'psychodrama', your wrong, this all is just me and my tablet in front of boring tv. Get a grip.
Lighthearted now....you'll heat up with the race.
Pace yourself for the real political races to come.

Jimmy:
Do I think he'll be the next president? Of course not. But crazier things have happened in modern democracy and for every day that passes with him being taken seriously, the joke gets a teensy bit more uncomfortable.

Dhajj:
You see Jimmy?
It's annoying as fuck having everything you say commented upon line by line.
I learned everything that i know about doing that from you.
Anyway...lets ease off one another. We can't go about eating our own kind over hues.

Dhajj

PS:
All the news about Pluto is much more interesting than Donald Trump.
Sin Agog
Sin Agog
2253 posts

Jul 27, 2015, 02:58
Didn't I read something last year about how he owes more money than he has? Considering ever president ever elected, with one or two exceptions, has been the richest candidate, he has no chance at all.
grufty jim
grufty jim
1978 posts

Jul 27, 2015, 12:50
Sin Agog wrote:
Didn't I read something last year about how he owes more money than he has? Considering ever president ever elected, with one or two exceptions, has been the richest candidate, he has no chance at all.

Nah, if only it were that simple. It's not to do with how rich the individual is, but how much money their campaign can raise. And that in turn tends to be dictated by the polls. Lobbyists and corporate backers tend to donate to the candidate(s) they believe will win.

Not saying a candidate's personal wealth is irrelevant; but it comes a distant second to campaign operating budget which is all about how "friendly" the corporations think you'll be to them if elected. And in the case of Trump, I'd speculate the answer to that is "very".
dhajjieboy
913 posts

Jul 27, 2015, 14:07
Super Pacs are the real movers and shakers now.
They do not donate anything to a candidate, yet spend enormously on the ad campaigns of the candidate of there choice.

ENORMOUS sums.

They are the a-holes responsible for interrupting my nightly viewing of Alex Trebecs 'Jeapordy' show with constant soul sucking campaign ads throughout the election cycle.

Somehow i can't see them backing Trump to those sums.
As of now the only one Trumpeting Trump is Trump.
Pages: 7 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index