Pages: 23 – [ Previous | 16 7 8 9 10 11 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6200 posts

Re: Jeremy Corbyn
Aug 04, 2015, 20:10
riverman wrote:
Alan Johnson the latest given a platform in the Guardian to have a pop! All he can do apart from that is highlight past Labour successes e.g. child poverty etc under Blair. All very well but the recent Labour message has been that they overspent and they wouldn't be going back to those carefree days. He's supporting Cooper but there's not actually any current policies as far as I can see (other than slagging Corbyn naturally).

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/aug/04/labour-must-end-the-madness-over-jeremy-corbyn-says-alan-johnson

Just been reading that. The theme that is definitely is emerging is that the other three candidates Wanna Be Elected - the politics comes a distant second to that ambition and principles can be sacrificed or modified accordingly. Whereas Corbyn genuinely believes that there is another way and has a convincing, thought out narrative to support that view.

Personally I'd much rather Labour elected Corbyn, even if it might "cost" them the next GE. An effective Opposition really challenging a Tory government with what will still amount to a paper thin majority (even if they pass EVEL and make Tory-favouring boundary changes) would be far preferable to a Tory-lite Labour govt or an Opposition led by Blairites who basically agree with the Tories.

Burnham for instance - "I'm so opposed to this Tory bill that I'm going to abstain".

Whatever happens, I think IanB is right that there will be positives coming from Corbyn's involvement for those who believe in the principles that Labour was founded on, even if it splits the party.
spencer
spencer
3065 posts

It gets better
Aug 05, 2015, 02:14
I hadn't realised till today that there's also been a deputy leader contest going on too. In a runaway lead is: Tom Watson. Yesssssss.......talk about a dream ticket. Bring it on.
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Aug 06, 2015, 14:31
Re: It gets better
Aug 06, 2015, 14:30
spencer wrote:
I hadn't realised till today that there's also been a deputy leader contest going on too. In a runaway lead is: Tom Watson. Yesssssss.......talk about a dream ticket. Bring it on.

Watson is the favourite I think largely for his committee work against Murdoch.
He is also seen as a unifier which might be code for him being a luke-warm water guy.

However I would recommend you give Stella Creasy another look as she is a proven campaigner and gave a very bloody nose to the pay day loan companies. I wont hold being a Wedding Present fan against her!
drewbhoy
drewbhoy
2550 posts

Re: Last Night's Result
Aug 06, 2015, 14:42
All correct :-)
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6200 posts

Aug 06, 2015, 16:08
IanB wrote:
However I would recommend you give Stella Creasy another look as she is a proven campaigner and gave a very bloody nose to the pay day loan companies. I wont hold being a Wedding Present fan against her!

She'd get my vote on that last point alone :)
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6200 posts

Brian Eno supports Jeremy Corbyn
Aug 06, 2015, 23:14
thesweetcheat wrote:
Just been reading that. The theme that is definitely is emerging is that the other three candidates Wanna Be Elected - the politics comes a distant second to that ambition and principles can be sacrificed or modified accordingly. Whereas Corbyn genuinely believes that there is another way and has a convincing, thought out narrative to support that view.

Brian Eno appears to agree :)

https://www.facebook.com/Channel4News/videos/10153123273001939/
spencer
spencer
3065 posts

Aug 07, 2015, 03:21
I read before I posted that Watson has said he'd work with whoever was voted leader. Nonetheless I'm pleased that he appears to have the position in the bag as he and Corbyn seem to have opinions in common, not least concerning the Mid East's elephant in the room n-power and Palestine. Also he's shown he is a tough cookie having already weathered tabloid monstering. I don't know what there's left for the likes of Murdoch to throw at him. I will take your advice and gen up a bit on Stella nonetheless. As for Corbyn, I don't know if you've seen the cover of the latest Private Eye, a publication that I ceased to respect a while back. Is that the best dig they can do? Precious little about him inside either, on the basis of a quick squint in my Coop. I really, really hope he's done it....and don't forget that the votes that secured his leadership candidacy were cast but five minutes before polling closed. He j u s t crept in. Look where he is now.... Far from being solely a poster boy for the hard left I think he's awoken disaffected millions who may not have cast a vote for several GEs as well as those who have been too young to do so previously. He's kept it sincere and simple and remained unflappable, and I can't wait to see him at PMQ's dismissing Cameron with a pitying look as the latter tries to reel off those pathetic putdowns put into his mouth by his team of backroom scriptwriters which have so debased Wednesdays in recent times. And then there's the purging the party of any vestige of Blair, who he opined a couple of days ago should be put in the dock for war crimes..... Btw, thank you for the lucidity and obviously heartfelt enthusiasm of your contributions to this topic. Cheers.
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6200 posts

Aug 07, 2015, 07:08
I'm looking forward to the ballot papers arriving. Not long now.
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Aug 07, 2015, 16:41
Aug 07, 2015, 16:40
thesweetcheat wrote:

Me too.

Odd feeling being told off by the assistant editor of the New Statesman for not suffering enough under the Tories and therefore not having the right to want to risk Labour running a Corbyn-led campaign in 2020.

I used to like that RA Wilson quote about people moving from liberal to conservative in 20 years without changing a single opinion.

Seems I have inexplicably shifted from left to hard left in 5 years. My opinions have stayed pretty constant yet now only the Morning Star speaks to me and I feel pilloried by much of what passes for comment in the Grauniad and NS. FFS! How did it come to this?
carol27
747 posts

Edited Aug 07, 2015, 18:13
Aug 07, 2015, 16:51
IanB wrote:
thesweetcheat wrote:

Me too.

Odd feeling being told off by the assistant editor of the New Statesman for not suffering enough under the Tories and therefore not having the right to want to risk Labour running a Corbyn-led campaign in 2020.

I used to like that RA Wilson quote about people moving from liberal to conservative in 20 years without changing a single opinion.

Seems I have inexplicably shifted from left to hard left in 5 years. My opinions have stayed pretty constant yet now only the Morning Star speaks to me and I feel pilloried by much of what passes for comment in the Grauniad and NS. FFS! How did it come to this?

It's called being true to yourself & not being blinded by the bullshit. It means you're alive & you should know there are a lot more people out there who feel the same; they're just a bit defeated by it all(ie me.) I'm full of admiration. Your eloquence, truthfulness & succinctness is bloody great. I've joined the Labour party & so have my sons.
Pages: 23 – [ Previous | 16 7 8 9 10 11 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index