Pages: 23 – [ Previous | 15 6 7 8 9 10 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Edited Jul 31, 2015, 16:30
Re: Last Night's Result
Jul 31, 2015, 16:29
IanB wrote:
JC (no not that one) missed out on the Hampstead and Kilburn nomination by one vote last night after comfortably winning the first two rounds. Yvette Cooper picked up enough transfered votes from Burnham and Kendall to pip him in the final count.

That's a good indicator as to where we stand overall.

Please pay your £3 to sign up as a registered supporter. Your vote could be the one that reclaims the party for the left from the Progress sell outs.

Done it. After having voted tactically - to no avail - in the last two elections, the outside chance of Corbyn becoming PM is the one possibility that might tempt me to vote Labour again.
riverman
riverman
845 posts

Re: Jeremy Corbyn
Jul 31, 2015, 21:10
IanB wrote:
riverman wrote:

I have been wondering something that you may be able to answer.

If Americans have West, Graeber, Zinn, Stiglitz, Nader, Chomsky etc then who do the British have of the same vintage and quality of insight in the same realm?

Steve Keen is Australian so that rules him out. Is it really just a troika of "comedians" and the New Statesman brigade of Jones, Lewis, Moore and Penny et al?

Paul Mason. He is on my radar. Am I missing anyone who speaks for us from here rather than from there? I keep expecting a heavyweight to weigh in for Corbyn and then I wonder who those heavy weights might be.

I came across the Mark Steel article through Craig Murray. His blog is worth following because of his diplomatic past - gives a different perspective. His book Murder in Samarkand is essential reading for detail into the murkier side of government but I don't think he's written a book in the vein of other writers you mention.

George Monbiot is an obvious one - often with an environmental angle but he's a good investigative journalist. First book of his I read was the PFI one - Captive State I think it's called.

The geographer Danny Dorling. He even featured on the Quietus http://thequietus.com/articles/17481-danny-dorling-interview

Tariq Ali - though I've not yet read him, but your most has reminded me to check him out.
http://www.versobooks.com/books/1943-the-extreme-centre
sanshee
sanshee
1080 posts

Aug 01, 2015, 20:52
drewbhoy wrote:

sanshee wrote:
Hi Ian. Yes, us two (me and me 'man') are signing up today.
Aside from the fact I think he's the only politician for years to come across as having real ideas and old fashioned conviction, it's all the more crucial for us up here to get rid of these SNP arseholes who give less of a stuff about any sort of political change (or even the day to day running of Scotland tbh)than their own little grubby agenda (rejected by over 2m BTW).
I'm with you all for the good fight here.
Regards.
**Typing as I listen to a bit of Sleaford Mods**
;)

These Scottish arseholes (I hope I am one of them) you refer to might be the people who get Corbyn elected.

Where did I say 'Scottish arseholes' Drewbhoy?
I did say 'SNP arseholes', and since I am 'Scottish' and you yourself declare to favour Scottish Greens I do not know what you mean.
I do hope Corbyn gets in, and if much of the vote comes from us in Scotland then I find that great.
If the UK can unite on this, it will be the most positive thing that has happened in UK politics for a very long time.
drewbhoy
drewbhoy
2553 posts

Aug 03, 2015, 10:10
The S in SNP is short for Scottish, Sanshee. Sounds like you need to learn some facts as well.
Sin Agog
Sin Agog
2253 posts

Aug 03, 2015, 11:55
To be fair, if you call the Scottish Man Boy Love Association (SMBLA) a bunch of assholes, that doesn't necessarily make you anti-Scottish.

I do sort of suspect an average conversation with sanshee would go like this, though:

Old friend: Ooh, sansh. Haven't seen you in years. Did you know I'm expecting...and they're twins! I'm so excited. How've you been?

Sanshee: The SNP can get tae fuck.

Old friend: Oh...
Captain Starlet
Captain Starlet
1110 posts

Aug 03, 2015, 14:28
I just typed in Jeremy Corbyn into news and the amount of articles against him is getting ridiculous. I'm wondering to myself right now whether they have genuine concerns about what he proposes and stands for or are they just scared of losing out on the gravy train they inherited from blair?

I'm guessing the latter.

All that centre left waffle is just bollocks really, they're red tories and may as well just change parties being as they no longer stand for what the Labour party was set up to do in the first place!
Rhiannon
5290 posts

Aug 04, 2015, 08:14
even the guardian, which is rather disappointing.

but "First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win" perhaps
Sin Agog
Sin Agog
2253 posts

Edited Aug 04, 2015, 18:58
Aug 04, 2015, 16:21
For me, Corbyn's biggest appeal is his reticence to power. It could be a front, but if it is it's part of the slowest-burn game ever seen in British politics. Power attracts a certain breed of person. They're usually people with very few skills but the one which they've absolutely mastered: ascending to positions of power. They are not fully-rounded, empathetic human beings. I'm sure this is why the Ancient Greeks initially had a sort of jury duty parliamentary system. The notion of having a leader who, like Claudius or Eddie Murphy in Trading Places, was placed into power rather than clawing and battling his way there, is a pretty novel one.
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Aug 04, 2015, 19:47
Aug 04, 2015, 18:33
Rhiannon wrote:
even the guardian, which is rather disappointing.

but "First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win" perhaps

You can see from the reaction in Camden last night and at other events around the country over the last week or so, he has in effect already won. Even if he should lose the actual leadership election. The left has woken up and sees a path forward for itself. If he should win and the right of the party stab him in the back there will be hell to pay. Again he wins even if he loses.

The mainstream media can fuck itself. In this instance their insistence that he is a crackpot simply helps push people who are actively interested the other way. They forget it's not a general election. It's not an election where fear is driving anything. It's an election driven uniquely by optimism.

Too late for the Blairites and the collaborators to embrace and neuter him now. Only Burnham has woken up to that tactical error and I think it took the Iain Dale LBC debate to do that. This was the show where a Tory broadcaster basically tells the three Tories they suck at politics. Well worth a listen.

All the opposition has left is the self-defeating capacity to dole out personal assaults. Worst of all is the complicity of the careerists within the party who cannot face the idea that it might be about ideas and being gutsy in opposition not quietly waiting your turn at holding the wheel of state without a shred of either. Corbyn can do the thing that sincere and charismatic leftists have always been able to do - get people out on the streets. Chris Leslie and Liz Kendall would probably have trouble getting their own families to march for them.

At 53 I have never ever known anything like this. I imagine this is a little like how the supporters of other populist parties have felt in recent years. It's brilliant.
riverman
riverman
845 posts

Aug 04, 2015, 19:59
IanB wrote:
[quote="Rhiannon"]even the guardian, which is rather disappointing.

All the opposition has left is the self-defeating capacity to dole out personal assaults. Worst of all is the complicity of the careerists within the party who cannot face the idea that it might be about ideas and being gutsy in opposition not quietly waiting your turn at holding the wheel of state without a shred of either. Corbyn can do the thing that sincere and charismatic leftists have always been able to do - get people out on the streets. Chris Leslie and Liz Kendall would probably have trouble getting their own families to march for them.

At 53 I have never ever known anything like this. I imagine this is a little like how the supporters of other populist parties have felt in recent years. It's brilliant.

Alan Johnson the latest given a platform in the Guardian to have a pop! All he can do apart from that is highlight past Labour successes e.g. child poverty etc under Blair. All very well but the recent Labour message has been that they overspent and they wouldn't be going back to those carefree days. He's supporting Cooper but there's not actually any current policies as far as I can see (other than slagging Corbyn naturally).

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/aug/04/labour-must-end-the-madness-over-jeremy-corbyn-says-alan-johnson
Pages: 23 – [ Previous | 15 6 7 8 9 10 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index