9 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Re: Ireland votes 'Yes' in Marriage Equality referendum
May 24, 2015, 08:24
grufty jim wrote:
It's been a relatively foregone conclusion. We always knew the actual result would be closer than the polls suggested, but anything above 60% is fantastic. It's a good day for Ireland today. A very good day.

Personally I always viewed this as less a gay rights issue than a human rights issue... in many ways the precise opposite of those who felt gay marriage somehow undermines or lessens hetero marriage. It seems to me that any basic human right, such as the right to marry, is actively undermined and lessened unless it's universal. If a subsection of the population is excluded from a specific right, then those who avail of that right are complicit (albeit entirely unwillingly) in an injustice.

So by voting in favour of gay marriage; Ireland has become a better place for all its citizens - straight or gay. Now that the referendum has been won, the legislation will pass through parliament over the summer and Ireland will see its first gay marriages sometime this autumn.

Truly great news!

Not sure how this worked before Jim so excuse my ignorance on the subject, but does this now mean that church weddings will take place and illegal not to grant one?

U-Know! Forum Index