Head To Head
Register
U-Know! Forum »
Calling Grufty Jim (& the rest of you 2)

60 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
grufty jim
grufty jim
1978 posts

Firefighters strike
Nov 12, 2002, 17:27
It's a weird one and no mistake. The fact is, YAIP, i can't tell you what i think about the Firefighters strike... except to openly admit that i don't have a consistent stance on the issue.

On the one hand, every working person has the right to organise and withhold their labour in protest at unreasonable pay and conditions. Nobody (except some NuLabour SpinDoctors earning 50K a year without running into burning buildings every day) can seriously deny that firefighters are insultingly underpaid right now and have every right to come out on strike as a result.

These men and women are the closest thing our culture comes to true heroes (a point that was made _ad nauseaum_ post-Sept 11th, but no less true because of that). Every day they go to work knowing that they may have to do one of the most frightening things i can think of... walk into a fiery, smoke-filled inferno not knowing whether you're going to walk out... or whether the place is going to collapse around you. They risk burning to death in order to rescue strangers! That's their fooking job!!!

And they clearly don't do it for the pay. Because we all know - thanks to the threat of strikes - just how much these heroes do actually earn... and i can't imagine anyone who wasn't horrified when they heard. So now, what with Tony Blair and all the other capitalist fat-cats awarding themsleves and their boards of directors / cabinet absurd pay rises, the firefighters have had enough.

Damn straight!

And then there's the other side of me that protests. These people are public servants, it points out. Right now they are being treated shoddily and appallingly by the government - and we; the public; have an obligation to address that. However, by withholding their unique skills (and unique bravery), they are risking many lives.

I do not dispute their right to do this. I even support them - yes, even unto strike action. But i do it with a heavy heart, and plenty of inner conflict (though far less, i suspect than is felt by the firefighters themselves). It pisses me off that it's come to this - that we treat our heroes so badly, while the corrupt and powerful earn shameful salaries.

That said, i don't believe that the firefighters strike is analogous to your proposed fuel blockade (though i don't think you were making that claim).
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index